PDA

View Full Version : Foot injury

Graham Hayes
02-03-2005, 07:09 AM
After the 10k last Friday, the bottom of my right foot was in much pain. It's along the bottom of the outside of the foot, and I can feel it along the inside edge of my heel (where the arch is). Doing a bit of research turned up that it maybe my planter(?) fascia. Currently I'm rehabbing it with:

Calf stretch's, like a calf raise on a step

Ice (ok, frozen broccoli)

Massaging it with a beer bottle under my desk, one source suggest using a tennis ball but I don't have one so...

It's been going ok and getting better, but a martial arts class yesterday upset it big time. Some heavy kicking twanged it, and it's been nice and painfull today.

Does anyone have any wisdom for me? some do's and dont's? or even pointing laughing?

William Hunter
02-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Graham, it definitely sounds like plantar fasciitis, or just a tendon sprain. Either way, they suck. Your rehab program sounds right on. You may want to add your own cross-friction massage, done best by your thumb. The fibers of the plantar fascia run from the underside of the heel to the ball of the foot, with the strongest fibers connecting behind the big toe. You'll want to massage perpendicular to this line for about 3-5 minutes at a time.

One strengthening exercise that can be employed later is toe curls (Dan John would write something funny here). This is best done seated, with a towel thrown out in front of you. Put your foot on the towel, and "gather it to you" by scrunching your toes down. This really flexes the plantar fascia.

Basically, while all this is going on, you'll have to be very careful not to re-aggravate it. Running and jumping are big no-no's (I believe you found that out already from your mainpage post).

Hope this helps.

Graham Hayes
02-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Cheers William, don't know if you'd know off the top of your head; but is rowing safe?

William Hunter
02-03-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm no expert on rowing technique (no access) but if you don't have to go onto the ball of your foot when pushing with your legs, then it should be fine. By the same token, squats should be fine as well if you're pushing through your heels.

Graham Hayes
02-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I go on my toes when rowing, so I guess not. That's cool, thanks again William, that massage works really well for some immeadiate pain relief!

I noticed that I had pain going up my calves, remembering some pictures of foot anatomy it makes me think a tendon strain, like you said. Also the location of pain doesn't quite match the location of the plantar fascia in a nice picture of a skinned foot I found. But the centre does have a dull pain feel to it, just less intense than the side.