PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever have those 'weak' days

Matthew Scoble
01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Does anyone else ever have those days when they just can't seem to get their workout going? You know, when the weights feel heavy, when you get winded faster than you think you should, that sort of thing. Every coulple of weeks I seem to have a workout that I just can't get going. I can't seem to correlate it with anything in particular, diet, rest, etc all seem ok. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what do you do about it? Thanks, Matt

Ben Kaminski
01-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I have had exactly that before. I remember I walked up to the power rack and picked up the barbell with one hand for some one arm presses to warm up like usual, and the weight just went WHOOMP straight down. I was a little confused at being weaker than normal, so I did some basic exercises and left the gym. I ate more carbs than usual with my Zone meals, and made sure to get plenty of sleep that night. The next day I felt a little better, and was fine by the following day. Now when I feel that coming on, I up the sleep, up the good carbs, and make sure to find time in the day to laugh with family or friends, that kind of relaxation really makes a difference. Also, creatine or chocolate can fix this quickly in the short term for me.

Ben Kaminski
01-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Oh, and drinking too little water will bring that on quickly for me. All the times it has happened, were times when I wasn't getting my usual 1 gallon per day.

Roger Harrell
01-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Think of those weak days as mental toughness days. A lot of things can cause these types of days. Not enough sleep, stress, on a recovery cycle, something you ate, etc. Generally I take it as a way to see how much you can push even though you really don't feel like it. In gymnastics when you can throw your tough skills on the nasty days you know you can do them any time. Of course you do have to be aware enough to prevent injury. Spend a day working on technique or drills.

David Wood
01-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Cool picture, Roger.

The next CrossFit training tool . . . a 15-20 lb kid!

Beth Moscov
01-05-2005, 10:52 AM
I had this happen about a month ago. I just figured I was tired but I was bummed to have to lower the weights for the WOD when I had just gotten to a point where I could do whichever that one was with the prescribed weight. Two days or so later I was fine again.

Roger - I love that photo. We used to talk about my babies (now big kid and an adult) as organic weight sets. As you get stronger playing with them, they grow some more to keep you getting stronger! Lets see you do that L-Sit with your kid on your lap when he/she is 20!

Roger Harrell
01-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah, kids make great progressive overload tools :-). I'll put her in a snuggly and do various exercises. As she gets heavier my load increases. I have no choice. If I can do an L with her in my lap when she's 20 (That would make me 52) that would just rock. A new long term goal...

Ryan Atkins
01-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Yup kids are great. When there little like that you can even use them for kettlebell swings (maybe this will muddy that whole db vs. kettlebell debate even more). Julia still asks to swung around by her hands and feet, but she's getting a tad to big (or her dad's getting to be a bit of a wuss).

Ryan

William Hunter
01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I've got three kids under age 7. Anyone out there want to teach me how to juggle?

Ryan- if you're a "wuss", then there is no name for me.

Jeremy Jones
01-05-2005, 02:54 PM
To stop having 'slow' days - stop getting drunk the night before (that has always been my problem).

But Seriously,

I just had one of these days yesterday, and it seemed stress related (and maybe a lack of sleep). I took yesterday off from the WOD and I plan to make it up tonight, and work through the rest of the WOD as normal.

John Justin Syvrud
01-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Might just simply be that you body is due a little rest time/extra nutrition.

Beth Moscov
01-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Ryan - we call those "kettleBOY" swings. I suppose with Julia it would have to be Kettlegirl or maybe it should be kiddiebell?

Larry Lindenman
01-05-2005, 03:47 PM
It's usually sleep related with me, happens on a regular basis with me (every couple of weeks).

Jonathan Kessler
01-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Many years ago, when I was feeling bad on one of those "weak" days, a successful competitive powerlifter I trained with grunted at me "Good days, bad days. That's it." It was very helpful, somehow. Still is.
BTW, in addition to KettleBoy swings, we also do Medicine Boy tosses...
JK

Ryan Atkins
01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Kettleboy swings, medicine boy tosses - good stuff!

I forgot to mention that kids make great weights for dragging sleds (the kind you make out of wheelbarrows). Not only do they enjoy the ride, but they're able to get out of the car, to the training area and back in the car under their own power! Guess I'm just lazy that way.

Ryan

Steve Shafley
01-06-2005, 01:24 PM
If I go into the gym, and stuff isn't happening, I do a few things:

1. Immediately stop the high weight/high skill work. When I feel like that, I have no business getting under a heavy squat or C&J while distracted.
2. Start working biceps and triceps. This was a great tip that I got from "Brother Iron, Sister Steel" by Dave Draper. About half the time my focus and drive will come back. If it doesn't, then I usually do an intensive stretching routine with the jumpstretch bands, go sit in the sauna, and call it a day. I've tried doing abs, but it wasn't the same. Actually, lately it's been grip work, and that is a bit more "funkshunal" than bi/tri work.
3. If it's a day that involves a high level of metabolic conditioning, I start very slow, and warm up thoroughly. If it doesn't click, then I just go through at half speed or so.

I have found that "pushing" when I am not ready to push is often the first step towards and injury. That's why I do what I do.

Your mileage may vary.

Alex McClung
01-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Can you say CNS fatigue?

Paul Theodorescu
02-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Fantastic question. I notice this all the time. This was ultimately drove me away from a structured routine. I mean the variations can get pretty damn abrupt and I can never pin it down to anything (it didn't seem to happen after drinking or sleeping less--there's no apparant correlation with anything).

What's great about crossfit and maximum variability is that if I feel weak on a given day, I just back off.

I can't pin down what the cause of this might be. I don't think it's psychological because sometimes I feel strong and not sore yet the weight feels heavy from the get go.