PDA

View Full Version : Pinch behind/below the kneecap?

Jason Millard
02-11-2005, 04:31 AM
Yesterday I was practicing some overhead squats and on the way up on one rep I felt a pinching feeling behind my right kneecap, dead center, & straight down to where a doc would hit to test your reflexes.

I stopped immediately and after a few minutes, it was like nothing happened & I carried on. Any ideas on what it could've been or anybody experience the same thing?

I guess it could be as simple as bad form on one rep, but I'd rather not have it lead to something serious.

William Hunter
02-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Jason, sounds like it had something to do with your quadriceps tendon. The four quads taper to a tendon, envelope the patella, then insert into the top of the tibia. Sounds like you escaped injury. I would, at the very least, make sure your legs are very warmed up before you do squats. My knees are quite tempermental. Sometimes I get twinges that hurt for an hour or two, sometimes just a minute. They usually occur when I'm in a hurry and don't warm up thoroughly.

Hope this helps.

Carrie Klumpar
02-13-2005, 01:14 PM
William,

So what do you do for warmup? Do you mean just a general warmup, or do you have something knee-specific that you do?

Thx.

William Hunter
02-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Carrie,

I don't do much more than a general CF warmup. I think the crucial component is time. I want to be ready to go hard after 10 minutes, but I try to make myself warmup for 15-20, spending as much time on squats as I need. I try to spend time in the bottom, per Coach's admonitions.

Sorry no breakthrough here.