PDA

View Full Version : Head/Neck

Grady McDonald
02-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Was doing heavy squats the other day and on the way back up from the bottom a sharp pain in my neck (left side) going up into my head. So painful I had to stop the workout. Think of the absolute worst Ice cream head ache x 10. That happened about 5 days ago. Since then if I try to lift something heavy/excert any force on something, it comes back.

Any thoughts?

Payton Steel
02-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Grady, I've gotten those occasionally, maybe twice a year for as long as I can remember. I knew exactly what you were talking about as soon as you mentioned the brain freeze (ice cream headache) comment. It comes out of the blue, turning my head to look at something and then WHAM! And I'm left holding my head and neck, feeling slightly paralyzed for a few moments. I thought it was just something normal that everyone got occasionally, but come to find out, it's not. I found out from my chiropractor that it comes from being slightly subluxated. A vertebral subluxation just means that something's out of place or out of whack. I get adjusted 3x a week now, but even just one adjustment should do it for you. It will go away on it's own as soon as it falls back into place, but it will be back; it could take another year before it happens again though. Right now, the area surrounding your subluxation is inflamed, so give it a rest for a few days. Go get adjusted!!!

Grady McDonald
02-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the reply. I posted my issue on Go heavy.com and I got a number of answers, from "You had a small stroke" to "See doctor immediately" to " Blood vessels expanded and they are squeezing your brain". I will go see the doc and ask him what's up.

William Hunter
02-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Grady, when the upper trap becomes overloaded a myofascial trigger point can develop. These are common and can refer pain up the side of the neck and settle into your temple area. I'm a Chiro and agree with Payton that you may need to be adjusted, but specific treatment on the upper trap trigger point (if this is what's causing your pain) should also be performed. Heat and stretch in the shower after a good workout is good preventative maintenance as well.

The way you described the pain is a bit scary. I would definitely get all "red flags" ruled out with a Dr. visit.

Laura Rucker
02-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Grady, let us know what the docs say. That sounds awful.

Stroke? Squeezed brain?? GoHeavy.com has a bunch of Chicken Littles on it??? Interesting.

Jenika Gordon
02-15-2005, 11:17 AM
my roomate has had two discs removed as a result of wear and tear from his downhill skiing career. his back is in great pain. and he cannot sit for more than ten minutes since his surgery last year. do you recommend that i still try and teach him the squat etc? i don't want to hurt his back anymore, at the same time i would like to help him feel better and be more functional.

Dan Silver
02-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey Grady,
I have developed really fragile neck it seems. The repeated injuries from lifting and BJJ have created a very tenuous balance. It's the one area in my body that I continue to injure despite Crossfit training. I now see a Chiro on a bi-weekly basis and that has helped quite a bit. Another thing that has helped are two silly little exercises that I learned in Jiu Jitsu, "yes'" and "no's".

To do these just lay down on your back and slightly raise your head off the floor. For Yes just start nodding your head up and down (chin to chest), keeping it off the floor. Do this about fifty times and then do the No's. The No's work by keeping your head off the floor and rotating left to right quickly. Silly looking little warmups but they've helped me a bunch.

Hope the problem resolves soon.

-D.