PDA

View Full Version : Knee niggle

Karl Steadman
02-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi People,

Just a bit of advice needed here really. I have at the side of my right knee a "clicking" sensation that kicks in whenever i bend my leg after having it straight for a certain amount of time. So far it is not painful, but in the past i have suffered from ITB syndrome and don't want that to happen again!

Was wondering how i can offset this or if i'm just being aware of it too much and should shut up and get on with it???

All comments welcome.....

Karl

William Hunter
02-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Karl,

It definitely sounds like you have a crusty ITB. I've battled this in both knees for a number of years. The sides of my knees creak and pop all the time, but currently do not hurt either. Basically, the band is getting a bit fibrotic, losing elasticity, and snaps over bone edges with movement, especially knee flexion.

I used to do no other workout than jogging 5-6 days a week (bad on so many levels) and this is what would cause the flare-ups. Now that I do about a thousand *** to the grass squats a week, and run when directed to, my knees have felt the best they have in years.

They still creak...and probably always will.

Mike Yukish
02-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Karl, I'm a member of the creaky knee club too. My right knee does the same clicking. It started after my first marathon, and was diagnosed as an ITB problem. The PT would do a deep massage on the IT Band from its insertion point to just above the knee, to "loosen adhesions" he told me. Also the IT Band stretch (Piraformus stretch?). Then off the the gym to do...squats with dumbbells held in the hands.

I'll give myself the massage now if it is making a racket. I ski about every other day, and it is only annoying, not a show-stopper.

If your insurance covers it, ask your family doc to refer you to one. They can show you some tricks of the PT trade that can help.

Karl Steadman
02-15-2005, 11:53 PM
William, Mike,

Thanks for the tips guys. Seems the key to this little problem is too much long distance running on the wrong kind of surface hey? Never had any trouble until i started marathon training and then ran the London one twice, never been right since!

I hear what you're saying Will, since CrossFit my knees have felt much better, but the "click" was becoming more apparent so thanks for the insights on what you do......i'll get my *** to the grass more and see how it goes!

Mike, i also had acupuncture once when my leg locked out (guess the ITB went into spasm or something), couldn't move or anything! It really did the trick and haven't had a flare up since. I suppose the noise and sensation starting up was enough to make me aware something might be up?

Thanks once more guys,

Karl