PDA

View Full Version : Sore forearm!

Norm Hoogerdyk
02-22-2005, 03:29 AM
I've been nursing a sore fore arm for 4 mnts now. It hurst to rotate my wriast to look at my watch.

My doc thinks I have a sort of a tennis elbow injury and I've hurt the muscle between the two bones in my forearm.
Can anyone Help?

William Hunter
02-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Norm-

Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) is a tough one, due to the fact that every time you grip or rotate you will potentially irritate. Explosive type lifts like the clean could be disasterous. A lot of people opt for a band that is worn around the forearm, just below the elbow. IMO, this is a crutch that will prevent proper healing. Physio is the way to go, so get your Doc to refer you out for treatment. When it feels better, start back VERY slowly, as these type injuries have a nasty habit of becoming chronic.

Good luck.

Carrie Klumpar
02-24-2005, 12:07 AM
William,

Any tips on prevention?

William Hunter
02-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Carrie,

Once the pain has subsided, light reverse wrist curls will rehabilitate the extensor side of the forearm. They can be performed prior to the WOD as a warmup. The load should be very light, and the form strict. If they need to be a permanent part of your training, I would put them after the WOD, so you can build up in weight, and not worry about frying your forearms prior to a WOD. Grippers also work well as a type of GTG training that can go on throughout the day.

Specific soft tissue treatment to the fibrotic tendon is the most important issue. PT's have various methods. I'm a Chiro. I have some training in Active Release Methods, but I prefer using Graston Instruments(Grastontechnique.com). This is great stuff.

My father had this injury for a long time before I got my tools. I basically fixed him over a long weekend. I see him every couple of months, and I'll touch up the area if he needs it. He doesn't do my recommended exercises, he just hits golf balls all week long.

Hope this is helpful.

Norm Hoogerdyk
02-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks
My doc has recommended light weight wrist curls using a broom handle and string
and has recommended use of a forearm band but only when I do the WOD.