PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Dislocation, How do I tighten it up..?

John T Folkner
01-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I sustained a posterior shoulder dislocation 12 years ago from a seizure I had in Africa (whole other story...). One time thing, never had another, but the shoulder pops out periodically. It hurts, I deal with it. Not wanting surgery, can I tighten up the "joint" by working the RC? I have lifted heavy off and on since the injury with no problem, but the last time it went out I could tell there was a little nerve involvement, and that took me off weights for a year. Ideas?

William Hunter
01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
John- The book, 7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution, is an excellent resource for rehabilitation of the shoulder. Multiple routines, backed by good biomechanical knowledge. The RC's main goal is to compress the head of the humerus into the socket. When that doesn't happen properly, it begins to bang around the bones, causing premature degeneration of the whole bloomin thing. Sounds like a tough injury.

John T Folkner
01-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks for that William. Yea, I thought I had it controlled, but it went out in an Aikido class 4 years ago, then 2 years later in an Arnis class (I just don't learn...) and the last time (a year ago)I was doing bent over dumb bell rows with my left hand, supporting with my right (the injured side), and it went. That one hurt the most, and that's where (I believe) I got the nerve involvement.

I looked for the book on Amazon but no joy. Do you have a book vendor that I can buy this from? Thanks a million for your input and consideration! JTF

William Hunter
01-05-2005, 08:22 AM
John, the book is put out by Health for Life. The phone # in the book is 213-306-0777. I've had my book for about 4 years. I had ordered a couple of other things from them as well, and they had trouble filling my order. Like I said, it's a good book, but I don't know how well the company is run.

Let me know if you find it.

John T Folkner
01-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Thank you for that very useful reply William, I'm on the hunt now!

Jeff Martin
01-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I used the book also and have had good results with it. My right side has been dislocated (15 years ago) the left seperated several times. My right side hardly bothers me anymore, but I continue to have a problem with the left side and actually tore the front delt in BJJ a few months ago. Lately, I have been having good results by including active stretching with the kettlebell, turkish get ups, and overhead squats in my everyday warm up. The shoulders seem more solid.

John T Folkner
01-07-2005, 12:47 PM
I was lifting really hard working shoulders the last time mine went out. I have heard there is a difference between working the larger "external" muscles rather than the smaller "internal" that do the rotator stabilization job. I always just assumed that if you were working the deltoids, you were working the cuff as well. It seems I was mistaken, and I am certainly going to put more atention to the cuff prior to any other lifting exefcises.

William Hunter
01-07-2005, 02:00 PM
John, the book goes into great detail about how to work in RC exercises with a "normal" shoulder routine. A key point they make is to train the RC after the delts/traps/pecs etc. This is because the RC promotes stability, and if you fry it first with iso exercises, it won't be there for you when you bench, dip or whatever. That's when the real damage can happen.

Find that book...or I'll send you my copy for a loaner.