PDA

View Full Version : Wrist injury

John de la Garza
01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
A while back I tried to do some handstands against a wall. My wrist wasn't ready to bend that far. It really hurt for a week or so. I stopped doing that for a few months and the pain went away. Now I'm doing some yoga stuff and even though it is not being bent as much and as stressfully as in doing a handstand it is starting to hurt.

Anyone have any advice on what to do? Seems like rest alone wasn't enough. I don't think it is a issue of strength but flexability.

The catch is stretching causes it to hurt and it seems to need to be more flexable.

Wht should I do?

Alex McClung
01-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Kelly Moore had some cool ideas a few months ago about using "stands" for HSPUs. I had the same issue you describe, and followed Kelly's advice with great results. Pretty much anything that is sturdy and allows me to "drape" my fingers over the front (i.e. wall-side) really helps. Since I x-fit in a commercial gym, I usually grab a step-aerobics platform. This gives me about 2" clearance and is super-stable.

Kelly Moore
01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
John,

You could do as Alex mentioned - use a "step" of some kind (a couple pieces of 2x4, stools, or books) to drape your fingers over. Or you could try parallettes or dumbbell handles...you could use rings, kicking up to use the straps as your "wall'.

One good thing about injuries - I have had to become more creative to do most of the WODs.

Beth Moscov
01-10-2005, 06:02 PM
When I was doing gymnastics I often would get pain in one wrist. My coach said to take extra calcium. I don't know if there was any science behind it or if I get a placebo effect but it worked then and it still works when I get similar wrist pain.

John de la Garza
01-10-2005, 09:17 PM
I was hoping for a fix not a workaround. I can use paralletes and do all my workouts with no pain.

I've taken calcium from time to time with no affect.

I'm starting to think I should get a doctor to look at it. Maybe they will be able find the exact cause.

ps. beth, that is a awesom dog

William Hunter
01-10-2005, 09:53 PM
John, consider carpal joint mobilization. You've already figured out that stretching alone won't get it out of there. The fact that you can adapt your position means that more than likely nothing's horribly wrong. If no history of trauma I doubt the X-ray will show anything.

Nothing beats a one-on-one exam but hear me out. I had a female collegiate golfer in my office once with her wrist in a wrap. She'd been everywhere, tried wrist curls and flexibility stuff and her wrist hurt every time she swung the club. This had gone on for months. I examined her wrist by checking the intersegmental range of motion of all the joints that make up the wrist (this is the simplest of procedures). It merely felt a "little rusty", with some grinding sensations. She said it felt better after my exam and brief treatment. Two days later she played 36 holes with no pain, and never needed another treatment.

Where the forearm meets the hand there are eight, pebble sized bones (carpals). They get abused on a daily basis. Any PT or Chiro worth their salt should be able to tell you within 2 minutes whether it's serious or not.

My CMA addition (Cover My ***) would be to rule out something called Keinboch's disease, which is avascular necrosis of one of the carpals. I've seen that once in 7 years.

Good Luck

John de la Garza
01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
What is carpal joint mobilization?

William Hunter
01-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Mobilization is a gentle procedure to clear up fixations within a joint. Basically, one side of the joint is held in place, and the bone on the other side is gently rocked back and forth, through all normal ranges of motion. It is gentle and rhythmic (manipulation, by contrast, is characterized by a quick, snapping thrust). Often, as fixations are released, there will some clicking and popping noises. The muscles around a dysfunctional joint cannot work properly, which might explain why stretching alone has not helped. The reason why the wrist seems to respond to this treatment so well is that where the wrist bends there are about a dozen joints.

Roy Taylor
01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
JOHN,

DOES IT ALSO HURT TO DO THE CATCH ON A CLEAN? I'VE BEEN THROUGH HELL AND HIGHWATER(UNDERSTATEMENT) WITH THE RIGHT SCAPHOID IN MY WRIST. I CANNOT DO HANDSTANDS WITHOUT PARALLETTES. PUSHUPS MUST BE DONE ON THE KNUCKLES, OR HANDLES OR SOME SORT, LIKE PARALLETTES. EVEN CATCHING AN UNLOADED BAR ON CLEANS HURTS IT LIKE CRAZY.

GO TO THE DOC AND GET IT LOOKED AT. IF IT'S THE BONE UNDER YOUR THUMB THAT HURTS, THEN IT MAY BE BAD NEWS. THE SCAPHOID DOES NOT, OR VERY RARELY, HEAL COMPLETELY. IF IT IS THE SCAPHOID AND THE DOC JUST WANTS TO CAST IT, SAY NO. IT MUST BE REPAIRED BY A SCREW OR A VASCULARIZED BONE GRAFT. I HAD BOTH(TWO SEPARATE SURGERIES) DONE.

GOOD LUCK TO YA.

CHEERS

ROY

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. THE KEYBOARD IS BROKEN.

John de la Garza
01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Roy, no

but if I stretch my wrist the opposite way it kind of hurts a bit. Which is odd because I think the inury happened when doing a handstand or doing handstands repeatedly when my wrist wasnt flexible enough.

I'm actually using paralletes now with no prob for my handstand pushups.

But I do also do ashtanga yoga and prefer not to have to use paralletes. That is why I really want to resolve it.

For now I'm just going to continue using paralletes and from time to time see if it is getting better by not using them. I'll keep an eye on it and if after say six months there is no imprvment, I'll see a doc.

ps any one know a good doc in or near Orange County, CA?