PDA

View Full Version : SDHP and shoulder pain

Chris Forbis
01-19-2005, 06:12 AM
On FGB this morning, I had some noticeable pain in my right shoulder when lowering the bar from the high pull on the SDHP. I've seen mentioned elsewhere on this board (can't find now) that this is a rotator cuff problem.

Anybody have any more info on this? Possible exercises to do for rehab? Particular lifts to stay away from to not aggravate it?

Until I get this to go away, I'll have to be more creative in finding subs for rowing...

Jonathan Kessler
01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Chris,
Where on your shoulder is the pain?
JK

Brian Hand
01-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Chris, this could be an impingement problem, especially if you have some clicking. It's a common problem with upright rowing motions. It might not be as bad with a wider grip and db's. Keep in mind that impingement can be harming your rotator cuff - rotator cuff tissue gets abraded because the shoulder isn't moving right - but weak external rotators is not the only thing that can cause shoulder impingement.

Chris Forbis
01-20-2005, 12:21 PM
The pain was on the front of my shoulder.

I have heard impingement mainly as it relates to dips. I do bar dips daily, and have felt no pain in my shoulder from them.

Tomorrow in the gym I will experiment with a wider grip and dumbells on the high pulls and see how it feels.