PDA

View Full Version : Partial ACL Tear

Ari Mukamal
01-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Got the results of my MRI yesterday and I have a partial tear of the ACL in my right knee. I first felt it on my final rep of Friday's WOD.
Doc said it did not indicate surgery, but PT was in order.

Just curious, has anyone else had a similar injury? And what did you do for WOD's until your knee could handle the O lifts or squats required?

How did you rehab it and how long did it take until you felt back to normal, if ever?

Thanks for your help.

--Ari

Ryan Atkins
01-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi Ari,

Welcome to the message board! (IIRC, you're already posting your WOD outcomes regularly).

Just curious, has anyone else had a similar injury? And what did you do for WOD's until your knee could handle the O lifts or squats required?
I'd suggest using the O-lifts and the movements in the WOD AS therapy. Reduce loads and/or speed of movement if necessary. This is the approach I used post ACL surgery and I'd estimate it halved my scheduled recovery time (6 months down from 12). Someone asked about my knee while I was at my 1st Crossfit seminar in October. I hadn't thought about it for a long time until that point and realized then that I was still supposed to have 2 more months or so before 'normal' activity. IIRC, the person asked shortly after we got done with 'Fight Gone Bad' which, as you probably already know, involves box jumps, rowing, wall-ball, etc. - none of which bothered the knee.

Hope this helps. Heal well.

Ryan

Ari Mukamal
01-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks Ryan,

Yeah, that's me posting WOD results.

I'm going to PT tomorrow to see what they have to say. I think the tear happened on a Push Press, which is strange because from what I understand these usually happen with a knee rotation of some kind. I must have just moved it wrong.

I'm thinking I should concentrate on non-knee movements for a week or two and then get some O-lift training (maybe the videos everyone talks about) before I start up again.

Carrie Klumpar
01-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Ryan, you beat me to this one. You are an amazing recovery story, I have to say! You're just about a year from surgery now, if I recall correctly, yes?

Ari, my story is similar to Ryan's. Different from yours in that we both had complete ACL tears and reconstructive surgery, but we had some good conversations on this board about our rehab and recovery work that you may find applicable, or at least adaptable, to your situation. If you use the search feature, with ACL as a keyword, you should turn up our threads, as well some others on the topic.

Good luck. In a nutshell, I'd say do your PT, gradually work back up to full movements and weight lifting, let pain be your guide, and be really careful with (i.e. avoid) ballistic, open-chain kind of stuff until it heals and is stable. Oh, and ice is your friend.

Let us know what you do & how it goes.

Fran Mason
01-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi Carrie - what does open-chain mean? Thanks.

William Hunter
01-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Fran, I'm not Carrie but open-chain refers to exercises where the distal extremity (ie, the foot in a lower body exercise) is not in a fixed position, but moving instead. For example, leg extensions are open-chain, squats are closed-chain. Pushups are closed, bench press is open.

Ari Mukamal
01-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the help. It seems I was letting my right knee turn in on squat motions and that led to the injury.

PT has me doing 1/2 depth pistols in different directions, extra hamstrings and calves.

Need to concentrate on keeping knee over toes. I'm supposed to feel it in the hips and feel like my weight is on the outside of my right foot for a while until I retrain the muscles/joints.

Also, I play baseball and when I bat, my stance has my right knee inside the toes. Should I adjust this as well?