PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Rib

Neal Watson
12-14-2004, 09:56 AM
About a week and a half ago, I suffered a cracked rib (supposing, didn't have it X-rayed but I heard it crack as did the guy who did it, and the pain has been nasty) while playing basketball.

I'm curious, if anyone has endured this type of injury, what physical activities where you able to do without aggitating the injury?

This sitting around is driving me crazy. If nothing else I want to try to run. WOD's are probably not the best idea. Any suggestions.

John Walsh
12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
See a physical therapist if you can. I have had many broken ribs and from what I remember any activity that caused my rib cage to expand cause a lot of pain. This included running. The good news is that the ribs healed fast. In any event follow the doctors recommendation. I bet he told you to rest and you're looking for a loophole.

Brian Gibson
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I suffered a cracked rib during a boxing session. I was actually able to keep training(for the most part) with the rib cracked. I could still do my weightlifting routine(this was before crossfit), but minus any kind of crunch/sit-up for boxing. Also, any type of hard laughing or sneezing was not pleasant at all. I also kept sparring, but for about 2 months did not take any body shots. The rib felt better before that 2 month time frame, but I didn't want to take any chances. It did heal up fairly quickly.

I have also had broken ribs and they took about 6 months to heal up completely. Totally different ballgame with those.

Jonathan Kessler
12-14-2004, 12:01 PM
I've cracked a rib twice boxing, and broken a rib falling down a flight of stairs :uhoh:
As John said, deep breathing tended to hurt. Exercise that was not jarring and did not put pressure on my rib cage tended to be OK. Biking and swimming were great. Some weightlifting was good too. Your mileage may vary.
One thing - I started thinking about the fact that the only bones I've ever broken are my ribs, and those repeatedly. Thought about how to strengthen that area. Various abs work (especially things that work the obliques, not just the "6 pack") have been helpful. Also (here's something almost weird enough for Crossfit...), what crates bone density? Weight bearing creates bone density. So I would lie on a bench with weight plates on my chest, breathing. Got to where I could comfortably hold about 180 lbs on my chest, which was good for my BJJ... I don't actually know if it made my ribs stronger, but it seemed to make sense and it was one of those fun ways to get weird looks from people at the gym.
JK

warren costa
01-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Greetings all, could we keep this discussion going? I to have broken my ribs repeatedly, and I have often wondered if there was a way to strengthen them. Anybody out there with a solution?
Most of my cracked and broken ribs have been from some kind of impact, but this most recent time it was due to getting myself into a position on some dip bars that caused all of my weight to be supported on one rib.
Is there a way to gradually overload and strengthen the rib cage, or is there some kind of structual limitation going on there?
Warren