PDA

View Full Version : Hernia Question

Travis Mulroy
01-21-2005, 09:24 AM
About two years ago, I had a hernia. I had surgery to have it repaired (they put in some netting). Since then, I have been very nervous about lifting heavy, especially on the squats and deadlifts. I know that a huge part of lifting heavy is mental, and unfortunately I now lack confidence. Should I be nervous, or is it safe for me to lift heavy? Does anyone here have any experience with hernias?

Kelly Moore
01-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Travis,

I had a hernia operation several years ago; I've had no problems with lifting heavy.

Doug Ralston
01-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Travis,

I had a bilateral hernia repair operation about 20 years ago. Afterwards the doctor told me that if I ever lifted heavy again I would probably blow it back out, “but if you do” he said “have them do a mesh repair, that never blows out!” Based solely on that, I’d say that you should be good, but for a little more reassurance;
1) A sports therapist told me that strong lower abdominals should help a lot in preventing a hernia and Crossfit WODs will definitely work your abs!
2) For yesterdays WOD (back squats) I managed to get 245lbs at a body weight of 205. Not stellar, but no signs of a blow out!

Hope this helps,
Doug

Jeff Martin
01-25-2005, 10:03 AM
I hate coming in the injury section because it seems I should post to every damn thread. I have had both sides repaired. The right side was done traditionally 25 years ago (refer to the thread on crossfitters age) the left 10 years ago using the netting. Neither side has blowen out. I've deadlifted 350 and squated over 300 since coming to Crossfit. I seem to get groin pulls more easily than others, but so far no major problems. Of course individual results may vary.