PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back

Richard Boulet
01-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi guys, I hurt my lower back just above the hip,feels like somthing pulled very sore to bend over without bending my knees, this is not the first time. I always seem to do it when i bend over and pick up a dumbell on my right side which is my strong side. How can i prevent this, it really wrecks my training for acouple days at least.

Matt Toupalik
01-13-2005, 10:47 AM
I've been hearing more and more that to minimize the chance of injuring your low back, it is important to focus not just on increasing your strength, but increasing your endurance for the area.
Look into experimenting with isometric contractions for your core work; supermans, bird dogs, back extensions, planks, etc.

Phil Canto
01-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Richard: I agree with Matt. Back extensions and I'd also add low weight, strict form DLs. They make a huge difference...this has been a good recipe for some of my guys who have been nagged by a lower back strain or two. Increasing your "core" is key...

P

Joe Burks
01-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Look for the Press Ups article

http://danjohn.org/gu11.pdf

Payton Steel
01-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Richard, I am proof that "core" is key. I was in a vicious circle of needing to improve my core, but was scared to for fear of screwing my back up worse and being laid out for 2 weeks; I have back, side, and hip spasms all day long and have been that way for a few years. I finally started seeing a fantastic chiropractor 3x a week and she uses a high tech laser on me as well. My issues stem from no more curve left in my spine (loss of lumbar lordosis), a completely dessicated disk (L-5, S-1 go figure), arthritis in my spine and hips, an old compression fracture, sacroiliac joint dysfunction in the hips and permanent hip displacement from pubis symphysis dysfunction during both pregnancies. For the first time in 5 years, I can say that I've had ZERO back pain for the last 10 days. I took a deep breath about 8 weeks ago and started right back in with weight bearing activities, heavy weights, serious squats and numerous positions targeting the core muscles. So I guess what I'm saying is that working on your core is HUGE and I also believe that seeing a good chirpractor frequently can change your life, your mood, your workout, everything! I am on a roll now - being a 28 y/o mom of two young kids, I want the health of someone my age, not of an 85 year old, which is where my back is right now. I believe I am reversing it for sure!!