PDA

View Full Version : Broken finger

Andrew Gray
12-18-2004, 02:37 AM
I broke my finger about 2 weeks ago and it is severly hindering my WODs. I can't get a firm grip on a bar. The biggest problem is pull ups. Even though it is just my pinky, I can't grab the bar tight without forcing the muscles in my pinky to contract, which is bad. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get around this grip problem? I have put a lot of work into getting my pull up numbers up and I don't want to lose any of the progress I have made.

thanks a lot
-Andrew

Larry Lindenman
12-18-2004, 05:59 AM
This might be the time to work 1 arm movements! You could stand on a box and just lower yourself with your non-injured hand. Or set up your o-bar about 3' off of the ground, lay under the bar, grab with one arm and pull-up (this is harder with a swiss ball supporting your legs). One arm rows, etc. You could also use bands to decrease the pressure on your hands and increase the number of reps to compensate for the decreased weight. Hope the finger heals soon!

Kelly Moore
12-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Andrew,

I recently broke a bone in my left hand and can't close my hand around a bar or open my hand flat on the floor. I've been doing pullups using my first two fingers only - while I can't do as many pullups without straining my fingers, I am still doing pullups. Maybe this will work for you.

Brian Hand
12-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Andrew, I know what you're talking about, it isn't easy to relax one finger independently. You can learn to but your pinky will probably be healed sooner. You might be able to relax the pinky it you use a hook grip, with a hook grip you don't have to squeeze the bar two hard. However if you aren't used to the hook you'll have a broken pinkie and two sore thumbs. Of course you could try straps too. Normally straps are looked at with disdain but toughing out a broken finger might cancel that out.

Andrew Gray
12-19-2004, 01:50 PM
I have been thinking about getting straps, though I'm not really sure how well they would work with pull-ups. I will give two fingers a try also, maybe by leaving the finger next to my pinky out also it will be easier to relax it. Seems like it will make it difficult though, I don't know if my fingers are strong enough to support many pull-ups that way. One last question, what is hook grip? I've heard it several times on here but I haven't seen it explained exactly which way it is. I assume it's just about which side of the bar your thumb goes on but I don't know which side is standard and which side is hook. I use both ways fairly regularily. Thank you for all of your suggestions, I appreciate the help.

-Andrew

David Wood
12-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Hook grip:

1) Thumb goes around bar.
2) First and 2nd fingers go around thumb, locking it down.

Generally, this is a much stronger grip, but it does take some getting used to, and will definitely leave your thumbs sore at first.

See images at:
http://www.icofit.net/gym/resistance/basic_techniques/gripping.html

You want section "C", about the middle of the page.