PDA

View Full Version : Knee Pain

Chris Forbis
12-13-2004, 06:01 AM
After doing Nancy about a week ago (using only 45#), my knee felt really tight the next few days. The kind of tight where it didn't want to go down to a full squat, and when it did it didn't feel so hot.

So I took a few days off of squat type movements. I returned to the OHS yesterday. Same thing happened post workout. Tight knee yesterday, continuing today.

So a couple of questions:
1) I figured out yesterday (towards the end of the workout) that the most efficient foot position for doing OHS for me seems to be heels at shoulder width, feet pointing out at 45 degree angles. Before, I had my feet out a good bit wider. Could having used this perhaps "too wide" stance be causing my knee pain?

2) Does anyone here have recommendations for returning to squat type movement? I plan on taking a week off (from squats), then starting with just bodyweight squats, progressing to some weighted front squats before getting back to the OHS.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Chris Forbis
12-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Well, I met with a trainer and it looks like I won't be needing advice from anyone because I will be getting it from a doctor in the next few days, upon recommendation of the trainer.

Right now it's looking like cartilage damage of some variety.:angry: Certainly places a damper on my WOD. But I will find ways to occupy myself with pullups, HSPU, bench press, L-sits, etc.

Brian Gibson
12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hear that Chris. Best wishes on a quick healing.

Carrie Klumpar
12-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Bummer, Chris!

Not to be too pollyanna and all, but your attitude about focusing on the things you can do more than the things you can't is a great start. Hang in there.

David Heyer
12-17-2004, 04:32 AM
Chris,
I'm in the same boat! Two weeks ago, during a few BW squats I felt pain just below the patella tendon at the head of the tibia. Of course, being the dumba$$ I am, I worked through it. A few days later--lots of pain and swelling! Diagnosis--severe tendonitis. 4-6 weeks rest! No lower body training. That was like telling a drinker he can only have a sip.
Dave

Chris Forbis
12-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Being a teacher at a school full of a bunch of rich kids has its upsides... I'm getting a complimentary MRI on Monday. :proud:

Tim Morrison
12-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Hang it there bro..I just posted my knee pain saga..
Don't be too quick to take invasive treatment recommendations.
Research as many options as possible.
Like I said in my post after heavy load parallel work for years and resulting debiltating knee conditions starting from scratch with light loads, going full range, stretching, and taking some well researched compounds I found.,my knees are the best they've beem in 8 years.
My training recommendation....for now take all lower body WOD stuff..do extra concept2 rowing in warm-up(seems to really lubricate the knees), stretch, do depp airsquats as part of that w-up, then when doing the WOD lower body exercise go extra light and extra deep.focus on form and higher reps.
But....just don't do box jumps!
My 2..

Chris Forbis
12-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Saw my orthopedist today. The meniscus cartilage is fine. Possibly a crack in the cartilage on the femur, which caused a bruise on the top of my tibia.

No surgery needed. And I just gradually increase my workload, backing off when my knee tells me too. (It's already feeling a lot better with just a week off).

Good news, I must say.

On a side note, MRIs are really freakin' cool.

Brian Gibson
12-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Good to hear Chris.