PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pain...

s. uke
10-17-2004, 02:07 PM
i hurt my shoulder about 3 years ago playing softball (batting). i went to the emergency room and i was told it was a "slight" separation. anyway, i thought everything was cool until i hurt it again during defensive tactics at the academy. i sucked it up and finished the academy, but now i am really weak/sore most the time during/after workouts. i think i may have torn my rotator cuff.

after the academy i gave myself like 2 months of rest from all heavy workouts (i mostly ran). now im trying to get back in the groove. dips hurt and military presses hurt the most. also, i know its effecting my pushups and other core exercises. and to top it off...i have alot of mental reservations...i often feel like its going to pop/tweak again.

i'd like to avoid surgery if possible but i just don't see any other option at this point. i'm going to visit a dr. this week, but i know how those guys love to cut =D. anyway, just sorta bummed out...

Scott McAndrews
10-17-2004, 03:24 PM
I got some Active Release Therapy (ART) done for a shoulder problem that I had about a year and a half ago. I had about four treatments and unfortunately it isn't cheap. It definately helped releve the pain I was feeling though and allowed me to begin overhead pressing again. I believe that I could still benefit from a program like the 7 minute rotator cuff solution to help rehab the area, but I was impressed with ART. Do a google search of Active Release Therapy or Active Release Treatment for more information. Good luck with the healing.

Brian McCarrie
10-18-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm also dealing with a shoulder problem right now. I have no idea where mine originated though. A few years ago I was doing incline dumbbell press and felt a little tweak. I took some time off and thought nothing of it until this year when I began to do a push up workout several times a week.

To make a long story short, I fear that I may have a torn rotator cuff too.

Lately I've been trying to stretch and strengthen the rotator cuff muscles but now I have pain on the outside of my deltoid and sometimes down into my tricep and bicep. I have an appointment with an orthepedic doctor this week too.

For the life of me, I can't find a copy of the 7 minute rotator cuff solution.

Good luck to you. If you don't mind, post your doctor's report so we can compare notes.

Michael Keller
10-18-2004, 12:06 PM
I seperated my shoulder several years ago doing martial arts, but being the stubborn sort I am, didn't go to the doctor until a year later after the pain continually got worse. I didn't know it was seperated at the time, so after a year before seeing the doc, arthritis set it and caused the pain. My pain/seperation was in the AC joint, which is where the collarbone joins the scapula. I did therapy for a while, which helped some, and used naproxen for about a year and continued to strength train on my own. It is not perfect, but rarely bothers me when I work out. The only problems I have is if I sleep on that side during the night. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but it may be. My only option was surgery which I refused, but now it is almost healed from the strength training and stretching.

Brian Hand
10-18-2004, 03:46 PM
About the 7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution, that book was really important for bringing rehab / prehab ideas to bodybuilders and athletes. I personally owe Joseph Horrigan's articles and books an awful lot. However, the stuff in that book is a little out of date, Horrigan himself has updated some of the exercises etc. If you do your homework online you can get everything you need for free.

Steve Shafley
10-18-2004, 07:21 PM
There's another guy out there with decent stuff:

http://www.rotatorcuff.net/

Brian McCarrie
10-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Here's an interesting link about rotator cuff rehab: http://www.dolfzine.com/page391.htm

Brian McCarrie
10-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Hey Scott, at your suggestion I looked into ART and it turns out Dr. Leahy, the guy who invented it, is right here in Colorado Springs. So I've got an appointment with an associate of his on monday. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

John Frazer
10-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Brian,

I'm looking forward to the report -- intrigued about it but all the ART sites are pretty mysterious about the process ...

John

Brian McCarrie
10-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Hopefully I can shead some light on it after my appointment on Monday. I've read several unaffiliated testimonials about ART and all were positive. I'll let you know.

Brian McCarrie
10-25-2004, 12:43 PM
I just got back from my first ART appointment and I feel confident that I'll benefit from the treatment.

First the doctor asked some routine questions about how the injury occured. Then he went through some range of motion type movements to see how much mobility I had. Then he did some resistance movements on my shoulder to see where I have pain. Then he closely compared the two shoulders. As he was examining my shoulders he told me that I had sepparated my right shoulder (the un-injured one) sometime. And infact, I had, over 20 years ago in a skiing accident.

Then he bagan to loosen up the shoulder by digging his thumb into it from several different angles. With my arm in different positions. He also had me move my arm in certain directions as he was digging his thumb in there. It was painful but my shoulder feels a little better right now.

He explained to me that my shoulder was actually being pulled forward a bit and not in a neutral position. So I'll have to go to a few more treatments and get some physical therapy and I should be back to normal in a few months.

I'll keep updating my progress here just in case anyone is interested.

Brian Gibson
10-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the update. Please keep up informed.

Brian McCarrie
10-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Just had my second ART appointment and all I can say is, this stuff works!

What the Doctor does:
Like any chiropractor he makes adjustments. Basically I relax my arm until he can find the right spot to adjust or treat. He then applies pressure to the spot/tendon. He then directs me to move my arm through a specific range of motion. Moving my arm through the range of motion is usually very painfull. We do this a few times and then we move on to another spot. 3 or 4 spots and I'm done.

What I've noticed so far.
Last weekend I couldn't move my left arm out to the side above my shoulder without pain on top of my shoulder. Today I can touch my bicep to my ear with very little pain.

I've made two more appointments for next week and then I'll probably be done. I will also probably make one appointment with the physical therapist just to see if there are any exercises that I'm not already doing to strengthen the shoulder.

How much it has cost.
My insurance is halfway decent so each appointment only costs $25. The physical therapist will probably cost $50.

So this whole thing will probably set me back $150. A small price to pay considering I've gone through a few months of pain dealing with this.

Brian McCarrie
11-02-2004, 11:12 AM
I had my third ART treatment yesterday. I was sorta feeling like I had a set back but then I realized that my ROM is greater and I may have just been pushing it too hard. So I'm still seeing steady improvement. I have another apointment tomorrow and then one with the physical therapist. I'll keep you all informed on my progress.

Brian Gibson
11-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the update, Brian.

Scott McAndrews
11-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Brian,
I've been of-line for awhile, but was wondering whether the ART suggestion might have been helpful. I'm glad to see that it appears to have been. It's cool that your insurance covers the treatments. I hope the rehab continues to progress positively. Cheers, Scott

Brian McCarrie
11-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Yes Scott, ART has been working for me. Thanks for the tip.

Just got back from my 4th ART treatment. My ROM is getting greater and my pain is being reduced. I'm real happy with it so far. I also met with the physical therapist today. She explain some of the standard rotator cuff esercises that I've already been doing and a few very specific ones that I haven't.

The doc told me to do my exercises for a week and then come back in to see where I'm at. So we'll see how it goees this week.

I haven't done the WOD in a while because of this injury. I'm itchin' to get back at it.

Brian McCarrie
11-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Ok, 5th appoinment was yesterday after a week of doing the prescribed exercises. My ROM is increasing with less pain. The shoulder feels stronger but I still have some nagging pain/weakness holding on. I'm going to start getting back into the WODs slowly starting today. I have another appoinment next week. I"m ready for this to be over.

Brian Gibson
11-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Brian,

Great news. Progress is always good.

Brian McCarrie
11-24-2004, 08:09 PM
I had another appointment today and the doctor told me that my left shoulder (the injured one) is now in the correct position. Even better than my right one. He also said that I'll probably have one more appointment and that's it. It's been feeling alot better. I noticed that I can do more with it.

I made a dicovery tonight though. It's still extremely painful to do dips. So I did some dips on the gravitron at about 50% body weight. Wasn't too painfull. So I'm going to slowly progress back up to full body weight with the dips and see if that takes care of it. I also intend to start swimming again.