PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure

James Montana
12-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Do any of you crossfitters track your blood pressure?

I've been borderline for awhile, and I've noticed that my overall average BP goes up about 10 points when I'm doing the crossfit routines at "normal" intensity and above (fast heart rate, tons of sweating, dizzyness, etc). When I take a 1-2 week break, my average BP drops. (I take readings in the morning and at night before sleeping)

I have spoken with doctors about this. But, when I explain my routine and I ask whether it might affect my BP, I just get dumb looks..and then a common response "Well, don't exercise so hard. Try to just run for 30 minutes at lower intensity 3-4 times per week. Cut back on weightlifting."

Steve Shafley
12-04-2004, 08:58 PM
My doctor always chided me for having high blood pressure, and was visibly itching to put me on medication.

Then I went to a clinic on the weekend because I had a bad case of the shivers and sweats. The doctor there took my blood pressure once with a regular sized cuff, then took it again with a bigger cuff.

It was normal, not high. He said that the reading from the regular cuff would almost always be high due to my arm size. I'd brought this up to my own doctor before, but he just told me it was hit or miss.

Ever since then, while giving blood or going in for a check up I insist on the bigger cuff and my blood pressure has become a non-issue.

The same physician (whom I am not seeing) kept giving me cholesterol tests over and over, he was itchy to get me on the new cholesterol medications as well.

He's not my doctor anymore.

John McCracken
12-05-2004, 12:43 AM
For a complete review on the topic of hypertension including the proper measurement of blood pressure, go to the following link: JNC VII Report on the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation & Treatment of High Blood Pressure (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/jnc7full.pdf). Then go to page 18 of the document (page 34 of 104 in Adobe) and read the section titled "Accurate Blood Pressure Measurement in the Office"

Also this previous discussion might be helpful:
http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=23&post=3167#POST3167