PDA

View Full Version : Wrist brace?

Andrew Gray
10-24-2004, 02:35 AM
I am getting a lot of pain in my left wrist whenever my wrist has to support weight at an angle. If my hand is perfectly strait it's ok, but any time it is bent it hurts a lot. Push-ups and locking out lifts above my head have been a big problem. I am wondering if I should start using lifting gloves with the writs straps on them for support so it doesn't hurt as much and give my wrists a rest... or should I not use anything so that they will get stronger?

I am not really sure if my problem is from some sort of injury or from lack of wrist strength. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Davis
10-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Andrew,
Can you name a specific time and what you were doing when the pain started. Otherwise....you slipped, fell and caught yourself or a lifting situation?

Wrist injuries are common and although most are simple sprains that require extensive healing time there are other things to consider. Reduce loading the wrist for several days use advil or aleve for the the next week in divided daily dosages. After resting the wrist for this time period, have you seen improvement in the joint pain/ motion. If so, we don't have to worry about a stress fraction developing, just simple sprains. One of the best braces I have found that I use with my athletes is found in gymnastics. Because they tumble on a regular basis, wrist sprains are common. Search the net for such brace or find one of those gyms locally. This is the very supportive rigid brace, not the soft flexable ace bandage style. They are as close to what you need as I have found. Pup

Andrew Gray
10-29-2004, 08:12 PM
I can't really remember exactly when it started, it wasn't from any sudden injury that I can remember. It just started getting sore a couple weeks ago. I have some lifting gloves with wrist wraps that I have started using. They do a good job, I just wonder if I shouldn't be using them so I can strengthen my wrist. The past few days it hasn't been as bad, I was able to do all the burpees the other day with only mild pain. I think I am going to stick with the wraps for a little while and see if they make any progress.

Jason Davis
11-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Just remember that most likely the pain is from sprains of the ligaments(support straps) and strengthening would be ineffective at this point. Time, healing and proper support is needed right now. Avoid painful training, do only exercises required but without pain ...pain is not gain with a injury and ice 20-30 min after exercise. Aleve/ advil for pain and reduced use of joint period. Once your pain has decreased, I would start light wrist flexon, ext, and ulnar/radial deviation exercises with a dumbbell to prepare for heavier days. Wrists injuries are hard to get over due to the amount of use put them through without rest. Pup