PDA

View Full Version : Toughening skin

Matthew Scoble
10-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Any way to avoid ripping the daylights out of the skin on my hands when doing high rep O-lifts? I have some pretty good calluses on my hands, but after a workout like today's WOD (C&J x 30), I now have blisters not only on my hands, but under the calluses. Do I just need to suck it up? Thanks! Matt S.

Mike Yukish
10-31-2004, 06:49 PM
Where exactly are your blisters? How are you gripping the bar?

I have no problems with blistering on the O lifts, and my hands are kinda wimpy these days. I grip the bar with thumb on same side as fingers (no hook grip yet).

From my rock climbing experience, don't let callouses build and get thick. They will eventually tear off and things will be worse than they were. It is tempting to use them as "hooks" to improve grip, but that just tears them quicker. Use an emory board on them. Udder cream is recommended for the skin.

Brian McCarrie
11-02-2004, 11:06 AM
I have gloves. I bought them because i sweat so much that the bars are sometimes hard to grip. I've tried using chalk but it just turns to mud with all the sweat. Also, for some reason the pullup bar at my gym is covered with grip tape and has ripped my caluses off. So I use gloves.