PDA

View Full Version : Tweaked Shoulder

Brian McCarrie
10-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I have a case of tendonitis in my left shoulder. I went to a doctor and he confirmed that I have no damage.

Two exercises that really tweak it are pushups and bench press.

Last weak we did a WOD with many pushups and I've been paying the price ever since.

My doctor's advice was not to do the exercises that tweak it.

Anyone out there with a simular problem? Any possible alternate exercises? Any advice on what to do about tendonitis in the shoulder? Thanks in advance.

Brian Hand
10-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Brian, this could be a number of things, since a number of tendons in the area are prone to irritation. (Assuming of course that it is indeed tendonitis, don't know how positive the diagnosis was.) One possibility is the biceps tendon, where it originates in the shoulder.

A very common problem is impingement, which occurs when the soft tissue of the shoulder gets pinched between the bones during movement. (Major oversimplification, but you get the idea.) This can be caused by weak rotator cuff, tight traps and / or pecs, and weak scapular stabilizers.

The doctor is right about one thing, avoid movements that hurt. However if he didn't tell you what to do to correct the problem, he didn't help much, did he? It's like the old Groucho Marx joke, "Doc, it hurts when I do this" ... "Then don't do that." Duh.

If the problem doesn't go away quickly, I'd see a doctor (MD or chiro) or physical therapist that can see how the shoulder is moving and give you some therapy to correct the problem.

If you want to try some of the exercises Coach Sommer outlines in this recent post:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/5437.html#

along with stretching the pecs. You could see if it improves and move on from there. Just don't do anything that hurts during or right after, and don't wait long to see a doctor.

Brian McCarrie
10-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks Brian, you're right. The advice I got was pretty lame. I was just relieved at the time to hear the words "no damage" from an orthopedic surgeon.

I've been doing some rotator cuff exercises and it appeared to slightly correct the problem.

I'll continue with the rotator cuff exercises as well as some of the exercises from Coach Sommer's post. I'll probably go ahead and make an apointment with a doctor too.

Thanks for the advice.

Brian