PDA

View Full Version : Shoulders and Cleans

Theron Mathis
10-07-2004, 07:25 PM
My shoulders have been hurting in the front the last couple of weeks and it is from the cleans.

This is not typical DOMS but did not really feel like an injury. After tonights c&j's I was beginning to worry though.

I stayed light and finished the workout with a couple of deadlifts. Amazingly, the deadlifts almost eliminated the shoulder pain.

Any thoughts or reasons why? Should I back off the cleans for a while?

Ron Nelson
10-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Theron,
Look under the exercises thread for discussion on the hip extention part of the C&J. Without a good lift from the hips, your shoulders are doing too much of the work.
I think I have it right. Also, search for entries from Coach Mike Burgerner. He goes into these lifts in detail.
Hope this helps.

Ron Nelson
10-08-2004, 12:53 PM
OOOPS!
Mike Burgener!! Sorry Coach B!

Theron Mathis
10-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Ron,

Thanks for the advice. Robb also suggested something that has helped in another post. I think I have the hip extension down due to KB usage of the past year. However, I have been focusing on it and practicing with only the bar or light weights.

Also, something else I have done is the make sure I am shrugging as the bar comes up over the knees. I have really been trying to focus on shrugging to my ears. This has made a huge difference as well. In fact, it imporved my cleans so much that I hit my chin once and almost a second time and this was with 135lb from the Jerk Press workout. The focus on shrugging has almost eliminated any shoulder pain.

Thanks again for the comments

Ron Nelson
10-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Glad to help!