PDA

View Full Version : R & R

John Phipps
08-25-2004, 02:59 PM
I have pain in my neck/trapezius/shoulder area that I got from the first burpee/sit-up/kettle-bell/pull-up/db press workout. My chest is hurting from the bodyweight bench/pull-up workout and by the 70 burpee-pushups I did the next day. My hamstrings are still tight and sore from the stiff-leg dead lifts and my left arm is sore around the bicep and inside of the elbow since before I started crossfit.

I am taking the next week off for rest and recuperation. The only thing I plan on doing is some stretching maybe a bit of bike riding with my son. I will try get at least 8 hours of sleep a night and take my vitamins.

I feel a bit guilty but I don't want things to get any worse. Any suggestions out there for what else I can do to fix myself up?

David Wood
08-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Massage: Splurge on a good sports masseur (or masseuse, if your wife will let you :biggrin:).

In particular, I'm a big fan of what is sometimes known as "Rolfing" (more formally: Structural Integration), a systematic form of VERY deep tissue massage . . . not cheap, and not always pleasant, but a very interesting experience. But just a basic "sports massage" will be cheaper, and is likely to make you feel MUCH better.

Also: Contrast baths/showers. Much cheaper than the massage, not nearly as much fun. Alternate between comfortably warm to uncomfortably cold showers (about 30 seconds each). If you train at a gym or YMCA, set up two adjacent showers at the two temperatures and alternate between them. This one takes some discipline to stay under a COLD shower for the 30 seconds to a minute necessary to produce the healing effect.

Note: I have no idea why contrast baths seem to help . . . maybe it's just one of those cases that you "feel so much better after you stop" . . . but they do.

Good luck,
Dave

FISH
08-26-2004, 11:36 AM
John as Dave states rest, and try a massage. when I was in Singapore last year I received a "deep tissue massage". It was one of the most painful experiences I have ever had. I was sweating with the pain. That said it did me the world of good!

Larry Lindenman
08-26-2004, 12:23 PM
John, I would just scale back the WOD by half. . .either half the weight or half the reps. That way you still get some stimulas, blood gets to the muscles to pump away waste products, and you don't feel a disconnection with the program. I do this every four weeks and take one week off per year (If a benchmark workout falls on my half volume week, I go full out because I am comparing times).

John Phipps
08-26-2004, 06:52 PM
The scaling back by half sounds like a good idea and a massage sounds great. Thanks for the suggestions.

I do like the feeling of community here. I often do exercises in the YMCA nobody else does and it feels a bit strange. I bet working out at a crossfit facility would be quite a rush!

Barry Cooper
08-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Check out The Stick at http://www.thestick.com

I have one, and really like it. I'm planning on also getting the Wheel and the Foot Roller.

Jeff Martin
08-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Barry,
Um.....it looks like a stick.