PDA

View Full Version : New guy wrist problems

Jeremy Heitman
08-27-2004, 12:44 AM
So, I've been trying out this crossfit thing off and on for a while now. I don't really have any way of doing about half of the exercises but some substitutes have worked ok. At least I have a pull-up bar and some free weights. Anyway, I have noticed some pretty bad pain in my wrist when trying to do HSPU's. I can use db's for shoulder exercises without noticing any discomfort but after a little time on my hands/wrists with the HSPU's they start killing me again. Anyone else have this problem or any idea what I can do to help?

Thanks

Jeremy

Larry Lindenman
08-27-2004, 04:47 AM
Jeremy, how far are your hands from the wall when you set up for the HSPU? The farther from the wall the more hyperextended your wrists. Most beginers start out too far from the wall, arch, and reach for the wall with their feet. IF that's you move your hands closer and hollow your stomach (your wrists should be at 90 deg.). If this does not work make parallel bars with PVC and use them for HSPU.

Carrie Klumpar
08-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Jeremy,

In addition to Larry's good advice, try a message board search on "wrist" AND "handstand." You're not alone in your pain. ;-)

Roger Harrell
08-30-2004, 07:36 AM
If you can get, or make some parallettes you'll be able to work on the HSPU when your wrists are taxed. In fact holding long handstands on parallettes will help strengthen your wrists.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond
bottom of the page.