PDA

View Full Version : Advice on recovery

Jason Horton
08-05-2004, 08:27 AM
i know alot of people do other activities outside the WOD, such as other sports, martial arts, etc. aside from proper rest and diet, stretching, what else do you do to help recover from workouts? after doing the WOD and say an hour + of BJJ, the next day im a mess with fatigue, im 31, but i see some of you are either the same age or a little older and seem to do phenominally well with your workout and additional excercising. i appreciate the feedback.

Larry Lindenman
08-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Jason, at 42 yo I have a huge load. . .teach martial arts, coach youth football, two kids, wife, commute 2:45 a day, and am a police detective. I do the WOD 3 on 1 off schedule, as written. The modifications I make is week one of the WOD workout hard, week two push it harder, Week three try to exceed PR's (push as hard as you can), Week four: cut the volume in half (recovery week). Every 12 weeks I try to take a week off working out. Proper nutrition, sleep, massage, foam rollers or the body stick, also work wonders for recovery.

Roger Harrell
08-05-2004, 01:07 PM
A good deal of it is getting adapted to it. The more you train it, the faster your recovery will be and you will be able to increase your training volume.

Ryan Atkins
08-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Jason,

Are you practicing the two activities back to back? Before my knee surgery I was having good results doing the WOD in the morning and NHB classes at night. FWIW, we're the same age.

Ryan

Jason Horton
08-06-2004, 08:50 AM
ryan

i would do the WOD at about 330 pm, and the BJJ at 6 pm, so about 2 hours in between, sometimes 3. ideally i would like to have more time in between. thanks for the feedback.

Jeff Martin
08-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Jason,
Thanks for posting this. I was going to post something similar. Like Larry, I work a fulltime job an hour away from home. Have three boys and run a self defense school(and now CrossFit gym) at night. I was having trouble doing the three day on one day off schedule. Teaching Krav Maga, at least for me, is often as much a workout as taking the class. I was finding that I was going several weeks without getting a true rest day because the rest days often fell on days I taught. For now I am taking Wed. and Sun. off because those are the days I don't teach. So my schedule ends up being two days on, one day off, three days on, one day off. I am going to stick with this for a couple of months and then give Larry's plan a try.

Larry Lindenman
08-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Jeff, try it you will like it. We all know cutting the volume in half for one week out of four will not decrease fitness, the question is will it help. For me it gives me a mental break, it gives me the knowledge that there is going to be a break in the future, I rest up injuries, have more time for stretching or prehab, and just don't feel sore for a week. I also feel re-newed coming back after a half volume week and can push harder than if I was grinding it out with no rest in sight. It works for me, give it a try and I think you'll like it.

Jeff Martin
08-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks Larry,
I am going to try it. My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I think I'll do a "special" birthday workout and then take a week off. I'll try your program then.

Ryan Atkins
08-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey Jason,

I think that extra couple of hours makes a difference. In the past two weeks, I've started up the NHB training again and have a schedule similar to yours (NHB in the morning, Crossfit around lunch time - about 3 hours between each). Although there are other factors I'm starting to identify (i.e. my sleep schedule sucks, at the moment), I'm thinking this reduction of time between the two workouts have led to some overtraining symptoms - increased joint soreness, fatigue, etc. I've had to cancel a workout or two, because of this (fortunately I have an understanding training partner). Perhaps I'm trying to reintroduce the sport to often, to soon.

Also, as far as recovery goes, no one's mentioned hot baths, cold showers in this thread yet. At the end of May I moved. My new house has a shower over tub in a bathroom so I've been able to easily implement this method. I like it so far and feel refreshed afterwards.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Larry Lindenman
08-08-2004, 05:16 AM
Ryan, good to hear your back at the NHB, the injury must be doing better. I saw your time on Diane and was impressed! I just missed my goal of sub 10:00 with a 10:15. I think recommended time between workouts is about five hours, but doing two a days sort of sucks no matter how you package it, unless your focusing on technique training. Thanks for posting the contrast shower idea; I've done it before with success, but never with consistancy. Check out an article on T-nation.com titled somthing like Feel better For $8. Instruction on how to do self myofacial (sp?) release with a foam roller. I've used a pool noodle but ordered the recommended foam roller for. . .$8, total of $14 with S&H, we'll see how that works.

Jason Horton
08-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Jeff-

ive been hearing about your school from my friend Rob, whom you work with. would love to check it out sometime! the Krav Maga is rough, i did it for a while in NY and for about 2 months in San Diego. i dont even want to think about what it would be like to do the WOD and Krav on the same day!

Jeff Martin
08-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Jason,
You guys are welcome to stop in anytime. I think I send Rob a weekly email with what we are going to do in KM and CrossFit on Sat. mornings. Anyway, we would love to have you. We just launched a new website. Still some work to do on it but you can check it out for times or drop me an email.
www.brandxmartialarts.com (http://www.brandxmartialarts.com)

Ryan Atkins
08-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the kinds words. I'd definately try to follow your 5 hour between workouts rule, if possible. I tried checking out t-nation for the article you mentioned but was unable to get their search function to work. Do you have any more details about where I can find it?

Thanks,

Ryan

Lynne Pitts
08-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Here's the T-Nation article on the foam roller:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-021-training

Larry Lindenman
08-10-2004, 04:55 AM
Thanks Lynne, I'm kind of a dinasour with the posting links thing. I recommended this article because it seemed to make sense, not because I have any experience in using these techniques. I know some people have experience with the "stick" any comments about this article?

Steve Shafley
08-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Go to www.regenerationlab.com (http://www.regenerationlab.com)

In particular

Regeneration 101:
http://www.regenerationlab.com/archives/000117.php
Master of Regeneration:
http://www.regenerationlab.com/archives/000124.php
PhD Regeneration:
http://www.regenerationlab.com/archives/000132.php
http://www.regenerationlab.com/archives/000117.php
Saunic Recovery:
http://www.regenerationlab.com/archives/000131.php
Contrast Showers:
http://www.regenerationlab.com/archives/000022.php

In my experience, the kind of soreness that Crossfit can cause is helped by that most horrific of beasts...the ice bath.

Ryan Atkins
08-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Steve, Lynne - thanks for posting those links. Good stuff!

For the myofacial release. My sister-in-law showed me an alternative method she got from her phsyical therapist. Basically you put a tennis ball in the end of a long sock, place it between your body and a wall and use your leverage against the wall for pressure. I'm guessing it might have a more pinpoint effect than the roller and it really helped working out a knot I had in my trap recently.

Regarding the contrast showers. Anybody train in Florida? On a recent vacation to Orlando the best I could get was hot bath, lukewarm shower.

Ryan

Ryan Atkins
08-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Given the amount of work I put into today (NHB grappling in the morning, light O-lifting before the WOD and all of those thrusters and sprints) I'm kinda hurting. Besides taking two contrast baths I toyed around with a new idea for the self myofacial release (SMR). Right now I'm looking for any way (outside of drugs) to increase my recovery ability given my recent increase in activities.

I read the comments section of the article at t-nation. Apparently you can progress from the foam rollers to smaller harder objects (people mentioned using tennis balls like my sister-in-law told me about and also PVC pipe). When thinking about starting a session, my shoulders weren't to eager about supporting even a small portion of my bodyweight for the positions presented in the t-nation article.

Instead I grabbed a rolling pin from the kitchen, layed on the couch and gave my legs, arms and neck a nice massage. The fact that I didn't have to support myself allowed me to relax more. Because the rolling pin is harder than the foam roller, it compensates for the fact that I'm only using my arms to apply pressure. Being smaller, the rolling pin allowed me to easily hit all areas of the leg and to more effectively concentrate on any hot spots. Obviously you can't hit your back very easily, but David (my 2 yo son) was happy to roll the pin across my back (at least for a little while, anyway).

Thought I'd share this. Why spend $10 for something you may already have lying around in your kitchen? (Okay, now I'm being REALLY cheap).

FWIW,

Ryan

Larry Lindenman
08-14-2004, 05:35 AM
Ryan, I got the foam roller and there are probably some things you could do with it, you can't do with the rolling pin (like work the IT band, a problem for most people). If your tough (and I know you are) skip the foam roller and go straight to the PVC pipe (easy to get and cheap). I just don't want to hear the screaming in my house!

Haydn
08-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Hey guys. First post. I'm in Australia and am part of a training group called Brutal Training. Our web site is www.brutaltraining.com (http://www.brutaltraining.com). I'm 34 train like a psycho and don't get sick or injured. Any accidental damage heals quickly. No impromptu tears, hamstring pulls or any of that other nonsense. I would suggest reading the 'On the Gunge' articles at our site and perhaps researching the Hunzas from Northern India. I would have to say that most of the poor recovery, injury healing (or lack thereof) stuff I keep reading on this site is due to chronically poor immune systems and ignorant nutrirional practices. You don't get calcium from milk.

Robert Wolf
09-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks Hayden!!
Robb