PDA

View Full Version : Ow, my hands!

Keith Wittenstein
09-20-2004, 11:31 AM
I tore the skin of my palms yesterday. Does anybody have any good advice on how to heal quick. I have my sports performance coaching class this coming weekend and want to be able to do some lifts.

I know people are always saying that they did this, but I haven't seen any thread on quick healing advice. Thought I would start a new one.

I was out in the park and they have this great set of 8 rings (steel with chains) that you can swing from like Tarzan. You work your way from one end to the other. I haven't made it all the way across yet, but it's only my second time trying. After 20 minutes, I was taking a big swing and lost my grip. When I look at my hand, two huge flaps of skin were dangling off my palm. I used a new skin liquid bandage on it, but was wondering what other sage advice you seasoned veterans had.

Thanks in advance.

Rick Worthington
09-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Whenever I got torn open blisters on my feet, I packed them with corn starch to dry them out. Might work for your hands too. That and maybe some Bag Balm ointment - its for cow teets but is pretty readily available i think.

Ross Hunt
09-21-2004, 06:11 AM
I tore the heel of my palm walking on my hands two weeks ago and it STILL hasn't healed.

Should I be bandaging it or leaving it open to the air? I left it open, thinking that it would dry up better, but the infection persisted.

Walking on it REALLY hurt until I built up some callous.

Roger Harrell
09-21-2004, 07:54 AM
For the first few days after a rip you want to keep it covered and sealed. Put vasaline or neosporin or some kinda goo on it, then cover it with a bandange or somethin. Otherwise the new skin will dry out, crack and split. Then it takes longer to heal.

Ron Nelson
09-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Ross,
I never even thought of that kind of injury doing the hs walk. Thanks, now I know what I've gotten myself into.
As for how to treat rips, check out this thread. It has some good tips from gymnasts and Coach Sommer.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/4457.html

Keith Wittenstein
09-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys.

I appreciate all the help.

Between the cauliflower ear and the caloused hands, I just keep getting prettier.

Keith

Ross Hunt
09-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Roger, Ron, Coach S.,

Thanks. Now I know what to do if this happens again.

Ron -

In order to tear my palm hand-walking I had to:

1) Not lean forward enough in the handstand (putting weight on the palm).
2) Let myself get frustrated with this.
3) Keep trying after I got frustrated.
4) Not wipe the sweat off my palms while walking on stone.
5) Walk on the injured palm continuously rather than giving it time to heal a bit.
6) [Now I know] Not cover it.

You might be able to duplicate this chain of mistakes if you really tried, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. :wink:

Keith Wittenstein
09-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Ow, that picture on the main page is basically what I was doing when I tore the skin from my hands. What a beautiful reminder of my agony. I only wished I had looked as good when I was trying to swing through the air.

Ross...try going to the park and doing handstands on some nice soft grass or on some mats. Ouch, brother. Be careful.