PDA

View Full Version : Separated Clavicle-for JSkillman

J Skillman
08-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Seperated Clavicle

Hi all,

I tried to start a new message in this topic area but could figure out how so I just posted it here.

I've been reading about the crossfit programmm for a week now and I would love to get into.

My problem is I don't have the strength yet to do pull up or dips or any of the weight lifting aspects of the Crossfit programm. The reason for this is because I injured my shoulder about 3 years ago and seperated my left clavicle. I've gottenn back to a good point but because of the innjury I always have to quit or back off because of it. For example, after about 30 push-ups I can't go farther because of the shoulder. The rest of me wants but I can't :-)

Any advice or intermediate steps to take to get me up to speed would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be able to do muscle ups and other aspects of the crossfit program

Thanks -- Jeff

Brian Hand
08-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Jeff, I assume it separated at the A-C joint, that is in the shoulder, not at the sternum. Dips are going to require extreme caution and may not be an appropriate exercise for you, depends on how complete your recovery was.

Of course ideally you should consult with a doctor to see how the injury has healed and make sure you're not doing more damage. If working out makes it worse, you have to stop and have it looked at.

If you feel certain you aren't making matters worse by training, I'd suggest changing your form so that it spares the joint as much as possible at first. For example, for pushups, make sure your elbows are kept close to your sides, and don't go down all the way. You could put a small ball or cushion under your chest so you have a little help at the bottom. If you can do that pain free, maybe you can work back into regular pushups.

Although the separation wouldn't necessarily have involved the rotator cuff at all, I'd make sure the rotator cuff and all the other small muscles are supporting the shoulder properly. There is a lot you can do to stretch and strengthen the rotator cuff, one simple exercise that is easy to learn and do is what they call "face pulls" at Westside Barbell. This is a rowing movement done with elbows held high, pulling the bar right into your eyes. Usually it is easiest to do standing up, on a pulldown machine. It is also easy to do with rubber bands / tubing, with the tubing attached to any convenient high anchor.

Lynne Pitts
08-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Moving the separated clavicle discussion into its own thread....

Mike Yukish
08-18-2004, 07:02 AM
My problem is I don't have the strength yet to do pull up or dips or any of the weight lifting aspects of the Crossfit programm. The reason for this is because I injured my shoulder about 3 years ago and seperated my left clavicle. I've gottenn back to a good point but because of the innjury I always have to quit or back off because of it. For example, after about 30 push-ups I can't go farther because of the shoulder. The rest of me wants but I can't

Jeff, tell us more about your injury.

I suffered a grade III separation of the AC joint back in November 2003, and have recuperated pretty much fully since. In fact, I went looking for a fitness program afterward because I felt I needed to strengthen the joint to stabilize it.

Pushups seem to aggravate it more than any other exercise. Military press and handstand pushups to a lesser extent. I'm perfectly fine with ring dips, so I often do them instead of pushups. You can feel the joint move a little on heavy deadlifts, but it's not a hindrance.

Other than the bone sticking up, and some odd movement you can feel with certain exercises, it's pretty much fine.

Michael A. Malloy
08-20-2004, 01:50 PM
I have had a grade 3 seperation for over 6 years and have no problems performing any exercise or activity, Jiu Jitsu, Skydiving, Boxing, Moto X. The one thing I do have a problem with is the people looking at my shoulder like I have an eyebal trying to jump out

J Skillman
08-24-2004, 07:28 AM
About my injury,

I've always had weak shoulders, and about 4 years ago I fell and yanked some tendons and a few months later aggraveted further doing a roll to point where I have a class 2 AC seperation. This was about 4 years ago.

Initially, I had PT for about 3 months and have on and off continued the exercises I learned there.

What I am looking to do is to be able to "work up" to the full cross fit regimen. Any advice on modifying the WOD or any help to can offer would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks -- Jeff