PDA

View Full Version : OHS and shoulder pain

Steve D.
05-19-2004, 04:03 PM
My right shoulder has been in pain ever since the WOD with the OHS and pullups, may 10 days ago or so. It really hurts when I lift my arm out to the side, like a lateral raise, or do a motion like pouring water. For lack of the proper term, it hurts on the top/front.

Is this a common OHS injury or pain? Any idea how long it will take to be back to normal?

Thanks.

Lincoln Brigham
05-19-2004, 04:37 PM
This is a common shoulder injury, period. Sounds like a strained rotator cuff. Usually some massage and external rotator cuff exercises will improve things.

Scott Parker
05-26-2004, 06:51 AM
steve-

take lincoln's advice! i had the same exact (still do a little bit) injury. as per lincoln's advice i began really digging into my shoulders and they really started feeling better.

something else that surprised me was that the shoulder pain started when i was unable to get to the gym for three weeks. like steve mentioned, simple activities like pouring a gallon of water, raising my arm above my head, etc. would hurt like hell, especially when i first woke up in the morning. the interesting thing is i have been back in the gym and the pain is pretty much gone! at first it really hurt, but after a few days it started disappearing!

the only exercise that still seems to hurt it right now are HSPU's. for whatever reason these are still really painful.

try going a little bit lighter on the weight, and take lincoln's advice on the massage.

good luck!

scott

Steve D.
06-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Well, after weeks of pain, which was getting better, very little by very little, I decided to let a sports-injury doctor take a look at the offending shoulder.

His diagnosis, after examination and multiple xrays, was that I had rotator cuff tendonitis/bursitis. He didn't think it was necessary to go for the full MRI due to not enough pain, and in the wrong places.

He recommends physical therapy followed by ice, to strengthen the rotator cuff, 3x a week, for 3 weeks, then get back to the compound exercises.

Any opinion, pro or con?

Lincoln Brigham
06-07-2004, 05:33 PM
I should just start charging for my advice! :biggrin:

Get Horrigan's book "The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution" or go to the Physical Therapist to get essentially the same exercises.

Steve D.
06-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Yes...you were "spot on"!

Since we blew through our deductibles and maximum out of pocket already this year, the doctor visit, xrays, and PT will be fully covered.

I'll track down Horrigan's book.

Do you do any O-lift coaching (at rank beginner level)?

Steve D.
06-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Wow, this (Horrigan's 7-minute Rotator Cuff Solution) is one expensive book! I found a used one at Amazon for $175.00 and another used one at Barnes and Noble for $207.90.

A serious case of demand > supply?

Lincoln Brigham
06-09-2004, 12:33 PM
That's insane. It's not a big book and even if it was...!!! Holy cow, Batman.

I do some training on the O-lifts, all levels. (Except elite, heheh!) If you want to stop by, I can get you started. Go here (http://www.olympiclifting.citymax.com/page/page/91595.htm) and look for my info on the "Contacts Database" and the "Home Gyms" links.

Brian Hand
06-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Steve, I think Horrigan is just great, but there are many other resources around for rotator cuff exercises. It sounds like your problem is specifically in the supraspinitus, if you search some physical therapy sites you'll find exercises. One good one for the supraspinitus is a tweaked lateral raise. Use miniscule dumbbells to start out, or just 2.5# plates.

To do lateral raises, you raise your straight arms to the side; front raises, you raise straight arms to the front; this exercise is halfway between. Keep the thumbs pointed at the floor, this is intentionally pretty awkward. If you hear any clicking in the shoulder as you raise the weight, don't go that high. NO clicking. You DON'T need to raise the weight to shoulder height. Slow smooth performance is the way to go, and don't get too ambitious with adding weight. A pair of tens is probably an adequate goal.

There is an exercise that is a little better for supraspinitus, but it is hard to learn from pictures / text. (By the way, Horrigan kind of discovered this movement but the book predates that finding, so it isn't in there.)