PDA

View Full Version : Short term muscle soreness

Beth Moscov
06-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Hi,

Okay. I love this stuff. I am hooked. On Monday I worked really hard and Pukie came and hung around outside my gym for a while (didn't actually get sick though). I know this is good. I went and read through the threads on failure and learned about lactic acid burn and such. But what do I do now that I am totally thrashed still two days later? Of course doing the WOD yesterday also probably didn't help. My ideas - rest, mild stretching, hot baths... Any other ideas to get through this first week???

Beth

James Taft
06-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Beth. This happens to everyone. I still get sore all the time and am in decent shape. Try to keep the WOD schedule as best you can. If you are totally wiped out from the previous days WOD, just scale back the intensity of the next WOD. I think you will find once you get started into the WOD at a lighter intensity that you loosen up your muscles and find more energy than you thought you had. A good warm-up is also key in getting your muscles ready for the fight. So warm up and scale back the WOD if necessary.

Jim

Roger Harrell
07-01-2004, 07:33 AM
If you are progressing you will get sore. Period. If you don't push hard enough to get sore your progress will be slow. This never goes away. When I was at my peak in training in college I was sore most of the time. My recovery time was fast, but I was still sore quite often. You will learn good pain vs. bad pain.

Beth Moscov
07-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks Guys! I am not at all bummed about being sore. I was just hoping someone had some ideas on coping with it while it was horrible! I knew I did something right the first crossfit workout I did and then couldn't lift my spoon to my mouth for my after workout snack! I am thrilled to be doing this. Thanks again.

Beth

James Taft
07-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Motrin! and soak in Epson Salts. I usually don't have enough time in the day to do the bath thing, but the motrin does help.

Larry Lindenman
07-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Also, light concentric only exercise (during an extra workout session), sled dragging, band work, swimming, helps with soreness.

dave ojeda
07-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Try this tool:

www.thestick.com (http://www.thestick.com)

I posted more info on a thread in the equipment section. It has reduced my soreness after workouts.

Barry Cooper
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
I've had some luck with what I call "The Hair of the dog." Just do whatever you did to get sore, but do it light and easy for the warm-up on the 2nd day. Usually, the soreness is worst 2 days after. I haven't actually paid attention, but I think it's likely Coach takes that into consideration in the design of the WOD.

That Stick looks pretty darn cool, too (thanks for the post Dave). Some of the guys here have said good stuff about Trigger Point Therapy, which I think is what the Stick does. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to.

Juan Enjamio
07-05-2004, 06:15 AM
There is a recent article on the CNN website about how taking vitamin E reduces delayed muscle soreness folling a workout. Here is the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/06/04/vitamin.e/

dave ojeda
07-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Barry,

I hope you get a chance to try it. It is great! It helped me through my hamstring pull and overall I worked through a lot of triger points I didn't even know I had. I also have for trigger wheel for around the joint areas.

Let me know if you get one!