PDA

View Full Version : A Poll: Common Injuries when starting O-Lifts

Cross Bones
05-13-2004, 05:09 AM
It seems my primary problem is with my left palm(I'm a rightie.) it hurts when I catch the bar for C&J and snatch. sometimes, it also hurts when I jerked the bar overhead. for folks who experienced this before, what did you do to recover? did it take long? right now, I think I'll hold back from O-lifts for at least a week.

Brian Hand
05-13-2004, 06:49 AM
Crossbones, just curious, what part of your palm hurts? Is it in the "web" between the forefinger and the thumb? Does it hurt when you grip with your thumb and forefinger, pinch-style? Or is it more in the wrist, hurting you more when you rotate the wrist one way or another?

Lincoln Brigham
05-13-2004, 11:26 AM
For a beginner - or someone with horrible shoulder flexibility like Russia's superheavy lifter Tchermekin - a common flaw is trying to rack the clean with the hands. The bar should be racked on the shoulders, with the bar rolled off the palm onto the fingers, causing little-to-no stress on the hands.

The fix to this particular problem is to learn to rack the clean/front squat on the shoulders instead of the hands.

Cross Bones
05-14-2004, 04:15 AM
Brian,
It hurts in the region where the fingers meet(upper palm area.) I have no problem gripping and carrying heavy objects. I can bench, do military press, shrug and just today, did deadlifts at about twice my body weight and not feeling any pain. it hurts when that area of my palm supports some weight, even an unloaded bar!

Lincoln,
When I clean, I do rack the bar on my shoulders. but even some pressure on my left palm is causing some pain eg when I do front squat I rest the bar on my shoulders while my hands balance it. but as I load more weights, balancing gets harder and the pressure starts to cause some pain. on a side note about racking the bar on your shoulders, I've noticed I tend to hit my right collarbone only. it happens so many times that there's a permanent bump close to the center where the bones meet. calcium build-up?

James Taft
05-14-2004, 04:49 AM
Cross Bones. I got the same issue going on with the clavicle = clacium deposit.

Lincoln Brigham
05-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Cross Bones, when I do front squats, I have the very tips of three fingers on the bar and that's it. If you do that, the bar HAS to be racked properly on the shoulders. It's mostly self correcting and should cause NO pain to your palms. You should have very little pressure on the bar from your hands in the rack position for the clean and the front squat. If you keep your elbows up, you should not have to balance the bar with your hands.

Cross Bones
05-15-2004, 04:16 AM
Lincoln,
How about when performaing C&J? how are the fingers positioned when the bar is racked on your shoulders just before you jerk? when you explode up(pushing with your shoulders?), shouldn't the bar feel weightless until a certain height? my problem is when it gets heavy, you feel some weight on your palms when the bar is just around eye level. and as I drop under the bar while pushing it over my head, that's when I start to feel some pain again.

As for snatch, I notice in your avatar that the bar is mostly on the lower part of the palm, around the web of the thumb. or am I not seeing it right.

Lincoln Brigham
05-17-2004, 08:58 AM
I change grip for the jerk, putting the bar back into the palm. What I aim for on the jerk is to keep the elbows as low as possible while still keeping the bar racked on the shoulders, not the hands. For some guys this may not be a big difference.

The bar should never feel weightless. You should always be either pushing on it or pulling. I'm looking for the fastest transitions, with no waste of efficiency.

To answer your last question, yes, in the snatch my grip is still in the palm when in the rack position. I was speaking in general terms for the clean, because trying to rack the bar in the clean with the hands still wrapped around the bar is such a common error. The clean grip may or may not be the cause of your hand pain in particular.

Cross Bones
05-20-2004, 04:40 AM
I finally decided to do the snatch last sunday after giving it a rest for more than a week and no pain! Mostly, it was thanks to Lincoln's avatar that showed me the proper grip. everything seems to fit together now eg arms straight and elbows sticking out and shoulders over the bar at the beginning of the lift. this makes your hands almost parallel to the bar and thus facilitates proper lift and catch over the head. Lincoln, keep that avatar, man!

Lincoln Brigham
05-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Glad it helped! Thanks for letting me know.

Alex
07-16-2004, 07:17 AM
what about shoulder injuries anyone know what i can do for that? I get horrible shoulder pains in the joints and ligament after i do o lifts, it doesnt start the same day i did the lift the pain usually starts like a day or two after, Could it be that iam somehow locking out wrong when i bring the bar up? becaue thats what hurt the motion where my shoulder is complitely up