PDA

View Full Version : Right Hip Joint Keeps Popping

James Taft
06-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Hey,

I have recently been experiencing a continuous pooping of my right hip joint when doing things like squats. It only "pops" when I extend my hip all the way through like during the extension part of the squat. I think this may be due to the fact that I have been aggressively pursuing the straddle splits. Do you think this is serious or just a result of pushing too hard with the splits. It is not really painful just weird. I have been paying close attention while doing squats to make sure my knees and hips track properly while doing squats, but it still pops occasionally. Any thoughts? Thanks

Jim

Robert Wolf
06-30-2004, 09:47 AM
James-

Just a guess here but you may be stretching ligaments as well as muscle when doing the squats. This could effect how th femoral head tracks in the hip socket.

It may be nothing more than shifting how things track due to increased ROM and things will normalize with time. Keep an eye out for inflamation and perhaps dial back the volume/intensity of stretches for a time.
Robb

Ross Hunt
06-30-2004, 02:19 PM
What does the hip joint making a 'pop/crack' sound during hip circles indicate?
I have this suspicion that there might be a correlation between frequency of 'popping' and strength, because my hips didn't start 'popping' regularly until I started doing pistols, and now my right hip 'pops' more frequently than my left hip (my right leg is stronger than my left).
Is there any known correlation between the 'snap-crackle-pop' and strength?

Ross Hunt

James Taft
07-01-2004, 04:15 AM
Ross. Strange...I don't know about any correlation, but my right leg (popping side) is stronger and noticeably more massive than my left as well. What does your hip do and/or feel like when it pops?

Ross Hunt
07-01-2004, 09:06 AM
James,

My hip doesn't pop when I simply perform hip extension; it only does so when I do hip circles. These are a Super Joints drill where I keep my head and feet in one place while moving my hips in a circle - think hula dancer. Perhaps 'pop' is the wrong word. I do not _feel_ the hip moving out of place; I just move it through the normal range of motion and, although I feel no pain, hear a sound pretty much like knuckles cracking. Sometimes I can also do this when I'm sitting in a chair by moving one knee out to the side and pushing one hip forward.
Maybe it has something to do with hip flexibility; my right hip might be 'tighter' and stronger than my left. Maybe I'll play with splits this afternoon and see what that does to the hip.}

James Taft
07-24-2004, 06:35 AM
Just a quick update on my hip injury and a little warning for others to avoid this type of injury. I pulled/strained my right hip flexor. This was the result of overuse. Specifically, I was using my C2 rower with bad form. I would really extend my back at the end of the pull and then contract my hamstrings to return to the start position. I noticed this created a lot of tension in my abs & hip flexors and didn't think anything of it. Well, working the open guard at BJJ practice exposed my injury and now I am really limited in my workouts until this problem goes away. Expensive lesson to learn about the C2 rower. Just thought I'd post this in case other people are rowing in a similar fashion.

Jim