PDA

View Full Version : Possible rotator cuff tear/injury....

Scott Parker
05-05-2004, 04:51 PM
the end of the semester is near and finals are just around the corner, and as a result i have not been able to get to the gym. instead i have been working out at home. i have ben doing a lot of HSPU's and pull-ups. about two weeks ago i began feeling a lot of pain in my shoulders, bilaterally. the pain is at it's worst when i wake up in the morning, and it hurts in the anterior part of my shoulder, a little below the acromion process. when the pain started two weeks ago i immediately stopped doing any kind of exercise involving my shoulders and have seen minimal improvement.

my question is, is there any thing else i can do to speed up the recovery? does this sound like it may be a rotator cuff injury? (and, no i can't visit a doctor because i don't have insurance! and i am an EMT and nursing student-sucks, right!?).

thanks in advance,

scott

Lincoln Brigham
05-05-2004, 05:57 PM
I get a bit of that occasionally. Possibly biceps tendon inflammation. Self-massage works very well and is highly recommended by my massage therapist. Soap up in the shower and dig your thumb in there. According to my massage therapist, self-message works well and it's very difficult to harm yourself. In fact, she admitted the chief drawback to self-massage in that area is not enough leverage to really dig in.

Scott Parker
05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
i have been hesitant to masage the area because it really hurts to do so.

Lincoln Brigham
05-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Go slow. You'll know when it's too much...

John Frazer
05-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Get the "Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" -- a GREAT resource for technique and where to look for the source of problems. For me it cleared up several longstanding aches and pains.

Scott Parker
05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
ok, i am not a big fan or drugs, but i got a sample of some vioxx yesterday, and all i can say is it is incredible stuff. took it before i went to bed last night and woke up feeling amazing. funny because it didn't help the shoulders all that much, but i have chronic back pain from a rotated facet and knee pain from chondramalacia and this morning it was all gone.

scott