PDA

View Full Version : Sore knees

Jay Swan
01-29-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty new to CF. When doing Wednesday's WOD (hang squat cleans + 400m) I ended up with pretty sore patellar tendons afterward. Pain was gone by the next morning. It's not the running (I'm a fairly serious distance runner), so it must be the Oly lifts.

Ideas on this?

Robert Wolf
01-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Jay-

If your knees are tracking beyond the toes at some point in the movement it can create quite a bit of shear force. I see fairly few people who can pull off a good front squat without a bit of flexibility/technique work.

I made my knees pretty sore last week demoing "bad form". I had not weight but did this for several classes and was really sore for several days. No more of that!
Robb

Ralph
01-29-2004, 03:10 PM
I experienced the same soreness when doing overhead squats for the first time. My knees were sore for about 2-3 days.

Kevin Anderson
03-17-2004, 12:37 PM
I think I am having the same issue. My knees are very sore and I just finished a very painful basketball game. I think it could be my olympic lift form as well as not warming up enough prior to the WOD. I doubt my knees are tracking past the toe because I physically can't do this on my left leg due to a bad injury I had repaired with surgery. What other specific form issues cause problems?

Kevin Anderson
03-17-2004, 12:40 PM
What about having an strength imbalance between the hamstring and quads?

Bobby Nauss
05-18-2004, 08:19 AM
I have been having a problem with sore knees as well after running. Had a physical today and brought it up with the doctor. He said that I probably had patellar femoral syndrome. What I found was that my flexibility is not as great as I thought. My back is super flexible but my hamstrings are not. He said that because my legs are as strong as they are but not as flexible as they should be I am straining my patella. He gave me some new stretching routines for the hamstrings....mostly it will involve trying to keep my back straight while stretching the hamstrings...it was huge eye opener.

Mark Roughton
05-18-2004, 09:33 AM
In addition to the knees going out past the toes, one thing I've learned to watch for on OH and front squats is allowing the knees to "fold" or "collapse" inward when I'm trying to get out of the hole. I was having some problems until I started concentrating on keeping the weight more evenly distributed on my feet and pushing out of the hole smoothly and evenly from my heels. I was probably compensating for tight, weak adductors, so it might not apply in your case, but it might be something to be aware of.

(I've had sore knees for years...too many miles on the road without enough strengthening and stretching. But one of the biggest benefits of this site, and these exercises, is that the lesson that "the body is all one piece" is really starting to sink in. I've found that as my shoulders and back and hips are opening up, my knees are getting a lot better.)