PDA

View Full Version : Rehab suggestions for pulled hamstring

dave ojeda
05-17-2004, 06:21 AM
I slightly pulled my hamstring several weeks ago. To rehab I took it easy for awhile, do ROM before every workout, included reverse hypers (non-weighted) into half of my workouts and stretch after working out. I can still feel the pull in my left leg.

Any suggestions?

dave ojeda
05-20-2004, 07:21 AM
still looking for any suggestions.

All help is appreciated

Matt Toupalik
05-20-2004, 08:08 AM
How about getting some pool time in?It's a good activity to get some blood flowing, and stretch out the leg muscles and it is also easy on the joints.
Also, you could try some standing good mornings with just an olympic bar.I've found them to be a good exercise for strengthening and stretching out the hamstrings at the same time.

Michael Rutherford
05-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Seems like this is a on going issue for many athletes here. I've posted some suggestions in the past. These have worked for some of my athletes.
1. Daily- Warm-up with leg swings and other dynamic movements.
2. Perform high repetition bodyweight squats. Get your rear down on the ground. If you are injuried do these 2-3 times daily. If your form is questionable then get this fixed.
3. Use Leg Extensions only to compare strength. NEVER for exercise. You should look for strength of 60/40 Quad/Hamstring. Look for imbalances bilaterally. Elite sprinters approach approach a 1/1 ratio Quad/Hamstring
4. Everyday at the conclusion of your WOD rotate one of the following; 1. SLD 2. RLD 3. Glute-Hamstring Raise 4. Single Leg Back Extension 5. Single leg anterior reach. I have recently worked in some speed/strength with bands. Use caution on this one.

Once you are healthy respect the fact that you are healthy and will work in a PREHAB manner to never let this bother you again.

LIVE STRONG!
RUTMAN

Brian Hand
05-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Dave, there are only a few things I can think of other than stretching and gentle movement: massage, ultrasound, electircal stimulation, and cryotherapy. For the first three, a good chiropractor is a good way to go. You can usually get an appointment the same day you call and get all three therapies in one visit.

The cryotherapy worked for me when I ripped up my hamstrings sprinting one time. They were beyond normal DOMS. I used the styrofoam cup method which has been discussed on here in detail. I found I had to recruit a helper. I had her ice massage the whole hamstring area until I couldn't stand it and the muscle was numb; then we did manual resistance leg curls until the muscle warmed up good; then we did the other leg. I got a lot of relief from just one treatment and was just mildly sore after a second.

Ross Hunt
05-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Mr. Rutherford,

What rep range do you have in mind for the post-WOD supplemental hamstring exercises? A couple heavy sets of five? Triples? High reps? Varied?

Thanks,

Ross Hunt

Michael Rutherford
05-21-2004, 03:39 AM
Varied is always good. As a generally rule of thumb start with high reps and work towards 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps. The exercise selected and your experience with the movement will factor into the set/rep equation.

dave ojeda
05-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Mike and everyone else,

Thanks for your input! I will incorporate this into my program today.

Question Mike: Does massaging the area after a workout help to any degree?

Michael Rutherford
05-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Ice, stretching and I like http://thestick.com/products/index.cfm after workouts. If you can have a friend or stranger perform PNF on the hamstrings post exercise it feels great.

LIVE STRONG!
RUTMAN

Michael Rutherford
05-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Ice, stretching and I like http://thestick.com/products/index.cfm(TriggerWheel red grip G-500) after workouts. If you can have a friend or stranger perform PNF on the hamstrings post exercise it feels great.

LIVE STRONG!
RUTMAN

dave ojeda
05-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Mike,

CHecked out the products, so the trigger will help with the hamstring recover? The stick product also looked interesting. Any experience with the STICK product?

Jon Pappas
05-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Rutman - you said "Perform high repetition bodyweight squats. Get your rear down on the ground. If you are injuried do these 2-3 times daily."

How do bodyweight squats help?

I've had a sore right hip/butt for two weeks. It started after the 21-15-9 Deadlift 225, HSPU workout. I think I pulled something or ripped something. Do you know what's going on?

Michael Rutherford
05-27-2004, 05:40 AM
John-

The high rep squat concept is not exactly new. Bill Starr in THE STRONGEST SHALL SURVIVE discusses this concept. By high reps, I am talking about 25’s. The multiple sessions per day simply provide more stimulus and blood flow to the region.

I am assuming that you can perform the squats without any acute pain involved. I would not recommend you do these with pain involved. Athletes and coaches need to learn the difference between acute and chronic pain. They also need to learn the difference between discomfort, pain and injury.

Range of movement should be your priority. It SOUNDS like your sore hips are from a new activity (full range squatting?) and the increase in volume. Listen to your body, ice and rest it some more.

I’m sorry to hear you are still wrestling with this. I have found this to be one of the more frustrating of athletic injuries.

Dave, the TRIGGER WHEEL is part of the total program. I like the STICK products for breaking the trigger point mechanism that occurs from injury or trauma. The wheel allows you to dig in a little on the tighter spots.

Michael Rutherford
05-27-2004, 05:49 AM
John-

The high rep squat concept is not exactly new. Bill Starr in THE STRONGEST SHALL SURVIVE discusses this concept. By high reps, I am talking about 25’s. The multiple sessions per day simply provide more stimulus and blood flow to the region.

I am assuming that you can perform the squats without any acute pain involved. I would not recommend you do these with pain involved. Athletes and coaches need to learn the difference between acute and chronic pain. They also need to learn the difference between discomfort, pain and injury.

Range of movement should be your priority. It SOUNDS like your sore hips are from a new activity (full range squatting?) and the increase in volume. Listen to your body, ice and rest it some more.

I’m sorry to hear you are still wrestling with this. I have found this to be one of the more frustrating of athletic injuries.

Dave, the TRIGGER WHEEL is part of the total program. I like the STICK products for breaking the trigger point mechanism that occurs from injury or trauma. The wheel allows you to dig in a little on the tighter spots.

dave ojeda
05-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks Mike a TON!!!

Just got THE STICK and the Trigger wheel last night. WOW great product!! Quite a rude awakening when I first used both of them. It seems like I am quite the magnet for trigger points in my muscles. THis should help in my recovery with my hamstring.

BTW can youuse the stick as a warm-up before ROM exercises and a cool down? Or is that overkill?

Thanks for all the help!

Michael Rutherford
05-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Sure, give the spots that need extra attention some rolls. My I.T. bands are the pits. I like to roll those guys before, during and after. If my hamstrings start to feel tight I'll roll them during the session.