PDA

View Full Version : Hurt Elbow

Matt McManmon
03-23-2004, 09:48 AM
I dont know what this is but sometimes lastnight i notice i hurt my elbow somehow. ATleast i didnt hurt it while exercising. However it hurts when i try to twist my left forearm inwards, also when i totally straighten my arm it hurts. and i obviously cant put much if any force on it, so no more paralette training for a bit.,

Anyone else get this before? I've been trying to find out what it is on my own and its either Tennis Elbow, or Tendonitis.
hopefully i havent injured a Ligaments or anything, but im guessing its a tendon issue because Ligaments tend to only get hurt in ballistic fashion.

Im changing my stance and only paralette training 3-4 times a week. I guess it was tomuch stress on my body to never have a TRUE rest day.

Robert Wolf
03-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Matt here is something I recomended to Kelly:

Agressively ice that elbow! Get a few styrofoam cups and fill them 3/4 full with water and then freeze them. Take one, peel the styrofoam down to about an inch below the ice and use this to ice the affected areas for 5-7 min 5-5 times per day (the remaining cup will protect your fingers from the cold, nice bonus). It will hurt! Ice it to numbness . If you can do this for a few days you will cut weeks off the rehab time.
Robb

Roger Harrell
03-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Robert,

Do you know the mechanism behind icing. I know that icing immediately after an injury helps with circulation issues, removing debris, reducing swelling, etc. What's the benifit of regularly icing an injury. I ask because I am very poor at icing regularly and want more justification to make myself do it.

Thanks.

Carl Herzog
03-23-2004, 07:04 PM
For other injuries it might be best to limit the ice to immediately after the incident but, with tendonitis, icing for a longer period helps greatly in my experience. Don't know the mechanism, but I always assumed it was somehow reducing inflammation.

Brian Hand
03-23-2004, 08:55 PM
If I may chime in, I have been using the styrofoam cup ice massage for a long time with good results. I must admit I only resort to it when I'm really hurting, though - I should probably use it more, but it's no treat.

Believe it or not I read about this therapy in Muscle and Fitness in the 80's! So take this with a grain of salt - although my results have been good, my information may not be.

That article said that ice first induces a reduction in circulation, particularly near the surface, but a few minutes later induces an increase in deep circulation in the tissue that needs it. Heat feels good but has the opposite effect.

Robert Wolf
03-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Roger-

Mechanisticly what you (and Brian) mention is pretty much it. Initially one limits the blood flow and reduces the inflamation. Once the inflamation is knocked down only then does healing begin.

I frequently have people who are working on several months of pain and inflamation. If I can just get them to do this method 3-4x/day for 2-3 days the inflamation is gone. This method is quite different from the ice pack approach which is of limited utility and takes a long time. the cryotherapy I describe need take only 5-10 min.

Once you have done it you'll be a believer!
Robb

Matt McManmon
03-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Rob-Thanks for the advice! will do.

Lynne Pitts
03-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Robb's advice is excellent; cryotherapy is the cat's pj's for the elbows and for my cranky shins. To go high-tech, get a couple of cryo-cups (http://www.bodytrends.com/cryocup.htm) - reusable, no peeling-necessary replacements for the venerable styro cups.

John Frazer
03-25-2004, 04:02 PM
I love the Cryo Cup -- recommended by my chiropractor several years ago with the suggestion to ice anything that hurts AT ALL, or even anything that usually hurts until it doesn't bother you for a while. It works, and you don't have styrofoam garbage all over the house.

I also am a huge fan of Clair Davies' Trigger Point Therapy Workbook that someone here recommended. Have been working with it for 2-3 weeks and found a LOT of those little devils.

John