PDA

View Full Version : Muscle pulls

Roger Harrell
01-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Hey folks. What are your processes/practices on rehabbing pulled muscles. Just want some new ideas to help speed the process.

Jeff Murphy
01-22-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm nursing a hyperextension of the knee (from Krav Maga) right now. I just use the standard R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compress, elevate) plus ibuprofen. Once I feel the pain/discomfort ease up, I stretch carefully for a day or so, then get back into it. I don't know much, but I know when my body tells me I'm trying to do too much.

Roger Harrell
01-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Change that RICE mantra to MICE. Movement is essential to rapid healing of most injuries (broken bones being an exception). Excersising the local without straining it is critical.

Jeff Murphy
01-23-2004, 06:16 AM
Wow, I never knew that. How do I know where the difference is between therapuetic movement and aggravation of the injury? I'm wanting to bounce back fast, is walking on it a good thing? Body weight squats?

Roger Harrell
01-26-2004, 09:21 AM
My method is pretty unscientific. Keep an eye out for progressive worsening in pain. If an exercise aches a bit while doing it with no specific points of pain you are likely ok. Go for low resistance stuff initial and gradually increase the load as it heals. If the pain is getting gradually worse as you go, stop. Be very careful about any dynamic motion or sudden tightening of muscles around the injury. Work the rest of your body thouroughly to get a good blood flow going.

I think of the injury repair as a chemical reaction (very complex, but still a chemical reaction), better mixing means more complete, faster reaction. More blood flow means better mixing. Exercise means more blood flow.

Barry Cooper
01-26-2004, 06:29 PM
I use the basic concept of "the hair of the dog". The only thing I've hurt in the last five years is my back. I lay off until the severe pain is gone, then start doing light deadlifts, and squats. Keep in mind it's the hair of the dog, and not the dog. Less is more.

Robert Wolf
01-26-2004, 07:26 PM
The progression we use at the PT clinic for severe injuries is:
Passive ROM (for the knee this would involve someone else moving your knee through PAIN FREE ROM) A

Active range of motion (you move through ROM but no real loading/resistance is placed on the injury.

Active with loading.

One should default to the most advanced level in which little or no pain is felt. Some post therapy swelling may occur and is generally acceptable if ice (~10min) can knock it down.

Combine these guidelines with functional movements ala crossfit and one has quite a rehab protocol.
Robb

Mike Yukish
01-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Crossfit as rehab has worked well for me.

I separated my shoulder in November (grade III), and one of the reasons I started crossfitting was that I was looking to strengthen it. The whole body approach has worked well. The handstands were problematic at first, though...

Jeff Murphy
01-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Thank you Roger and Coach Wolf for your help. I was back in last night, hit pull ups, dips upper body stuff very hard, did ab work (swiss ball, flutter kicks, swiss ball) until pukie was calling, and then just walked the tread mill wiht a 4% incline for 3 miles at EIB pace (15 min miles). Some swelling this AM, but knocked it back with ice. I'm back in the dojo tonight. I'm truly grateful for the presence of this community, thanks all.