PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injury

Richard
02-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Hello,

Trying to guage what I need to do, or should do.

About 6 months ago (yes I know I put it off too long), my shoulder started hurting after volleyball (not my dominant shoulder), for no apparant reason.

It happens from time to time for a few days so I made no big deal of it, but after six months I'm starting to wonder.

I went to see a doctor about it, who chalked it up to tendinitis put a steroid shot in it and gave meds for a month (which neither have helped).

I haven't went back to him because I want to know if I should go see another doc.

Here's what's wrong with my right shoulder (non dominant):

1)Incredible pain when I get up in the morning, sometimes unbearable.

2)I can't rotate my arm at my side straight up more than...180 degrees.

3)Can't move it above my head out to the side.

4)Can't do reaching above my head.

5)After too much use, my arm gets tired, shoulder most specifically.

Well, any ideas?

Richard}

Roger Harrell
02-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Go see an orthopedist. General doctors won't be able to get specific enough. Could be an impingement or possibly a tear in the rotator.

Lincoln Brigham
02-17-2004, 03:55 PM
It's your rotator cuff. Guaranteed. Hopefully it's just inflammed. I had the same thing, non-dominant side too. Check with an orthopedist for a tear, yes, but skip the second steroid shot. If not a tear, be sure to get a referal to a good physical therapist. Also get a copy of the book, "The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution".

Scott McAndrews
02-18-2004, 07:02 AM
I found that Active Release Therapy (ART) along with the exercises in the 7 minute Rotator Cuff Solution really helped my shoulder injury. ART is spendy though if your insurance doesn't cover it. Good luck with the rehab!

Ben Gimball
03-01-2004, 09:54 AM
I would have to agree with Lincoln, but I would like to know how you first injured it. What were you doing when you felt that first twinge of pain?