PDA

View Full Version : Pullups and shoulder impingement

Patrick Hadley
12-20-2003, 11:45 AM
I've been doing the Recon Ron pullups program for about 4 wks now. Unfortunately, I seem to be developing some shoulder impingement, probably due to a lack of balance in my training. I'm going to take time off from the pullups and add vertical pushing movements to help restore balance to the shoulder area. Does this make sense?

As well, can I do vertical hangs for time with arms flexed (i.e. in the "upper" position of a pullup) without aggravating my shoulder condition? The problem seems to be felt at the bottom of the pullup, not the top. I'd like not to lose too much on my pullups, and I think vertical hangs might help.

Thanks for any advice.

Ben Gimball
03-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Patrick,

Have you been doing your Pull-ups with a wide grip? That is a very dangerous hand spacing and one I do not recommend!

Patrick Hadley
03-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Ben,

No, I've been doing them relatively narrow. I *think*, but don't know, that I wasn't balancing my routine properly, and ended up distorting my rotator cuff development.

Is putting in vertical movements a good idea to balance things out? You seem knowledgable about pullups, so I'm wondering what's the best way to get back to a state of balance.

Thanks.

Ben Gimball
03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Patrick,

For every set of Pull-ups that is performed one set of verticle pressing should also be accomplished in the same workout (even if you did one set of pressing for each set of Pull-ups that would probably be okay). I think that is the "balance" to which you refer

Robert Wolf
03-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Patrick-
Ice the area agressively for a day or two and when you start again try looking up between your hands and pull to the sternum. This will likely drop your #'s for a while but should open the glenohumeral (shoulder) joint a bit and hopefully avoid this in the future.
Robb

Patrick Hadley
03-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Ben and Robb,

Thanks for the advice. I will put your recommendations into effect ASAP.

Patrick