PDA

View Full Version : A delicate question.....

Mark Mueller
11-06-2003, 07:38 AM
Guys,

Since I am relatively new to the heavy lifting routines I am curious as to what you guys do to protect your.....ahem.....nads. I get the impression that proper technique, correct utilization of abdominal muscles will protect you in the long run. I also get the impression that lifting belts are frowned upon. Anyway, I like to wear a standard jock when working out but i notice when I do the lifts such as dead-lifts, squat cleans, etc that I get a dull ache in my testicles...Anyone else experience this?...and do you have any suggestions? I mentioned it to my doc and he checked for an obvious hernia but found nothing and gave me the typical doctor aadvice "If it hurts when you do that...then stop doing it". Any advice?

Dale S. Jansen
11-08-2003, 08:08 AM
think it has something to do with those big inner quad muscles. their insertionanchor points are up in the pelvic area and as they expand/contract things just get pulled on a little. the sensation decreases with time. never really thought about it, much. keep lifting.

Chris Doughty
11-08-2003, 09:20 AM
I had a problem a while back with a dull-ache from down there. It was aggrivated when I worked out and I thought for sure I had a hernia but my doc couldn't find anything. I was also having some lower back pain and she thought the pain might be "referring" (her words) to my nads (not her words). Sure enough, after a few months of Crossfit, I had built up my lower back, and the pain went away from both locations.
If the issue is more along the lines of what Dale is suggesting, then the pain is likely coming from the vas deferens getting squeezed as they pass into your abdomen. In that case you'll find that a jock or cup won't help in the slightest.
In either case, I would concur that the cure is just to work through it.