PDA

View Full Version : Training with medial epicondylitis

Bryan Wheeler
12-01-2003, 03:06 PM
I have been diagnosed with medial epicondylitis. It's worse in the left elbow.

I have been looking at the treatment protocols and it appears that everyone recommends taking 4-6 weeks off.

I don't like that idea, and yet at the same time, I don't want to risk further aggravation of the tendons.

I'm trying to figure out what exercises I can do.

Exercised that I can do:
squats
good mornings
crunches ( abwork in general )
running
cycling

things that I can't do:
chins
rows
deadlifts ( because of the grip )
cleans
snatches

Although pushups, dips and presses have not been bothering my elbow, I do think that the injury was caused by Press behind the Neck thrusters recommended by another coach.

Therefore, I'm thinking that I should take a break from all strenuous activities involving my elbow. Right now that list includes all presses and handstands.

Does anyone know what exercises I can do that will keep me fit while I rest my elbow?

I'm also kinda thinking it would be a good time for me to lose some mass. I'm currently 225 at about 14% fat. I'd like to get below 200, but these workouts just make me more muscular. :-) Muscles are great if I'm gonna fight someone, but they just make my falls that much more painful. ( I'm a extreme sport athlete (snowboarding, wakeboarding, skateboarding etc. )

thanks,
Bryan

Robert Wolf
12-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Bryan-

Try to do as many differnt movemnts as you can and perhaps use the Zone to lean out. You can likely get down to 5-7% BF, keep all of your absolute strength and greatly improve your relative strength.
Keep us posted
Robb

Tyler Hass
12-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Check out this awesome advice from Steve Maxwell: http://dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/tpost.pl?smessage=217083&tpstate=training
Steve is an excellent trainer and a world champion in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu.

Tyler
Power Athetes Magazine: www.powerathletesmag.com (http://www.powerathletesmag.com)