PDA

View Full Version : AB Trouble

Fiona
12-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Last week I started back at training after a 2 month layoff due to illness and school.
Somehow I managed to strain my retus abdominus in the lower region near the orign. ( Translation "I hurt my abs between my hip bones"). Initially i just tought it was muscle soreness because i had not done a decent workout in a while but after not being able to do a basic crunch or pushup let alone attemp an L sit without pain after 4 days i went and got it checked out.
Has anyone else every done this,how long will it take to heal.
I was all set to get back to training and this has just flattened me, no bjj, no kickboxing.I tried to bench this morning, didn't realise how much I recruited my abs to do this.

Robert Wolf
12-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Fiona-

Good athletes use their abs for everything...even sneezing! Soft tissue injuries can take a month or more if severe...take it easy and try to only do active range of motion for a week or so. Slowly add loading...be conservative....ice if possible.
Robb

Fiona
12-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Thanks Rob
I've just been to the Physio turns out its actually the illiosoas that i have injured.
He has said basically the same thing as you. Utrasounded and massaged, gave me an exercise which is basically the cobra from yoga have to go back next week to see how it progressing, but feels heaps better at the moment.