PDA

View Full Version : REHAB DURATION ELBOW DISLOCATION

Michael Rutherford
12-15-2003, 08:42 AM
My 16 year old son dislocated his elbow this weekend at a wrestling tournament. Following 10 days of wearing a splint the plan is to move to a light brace.

His doctor indicated that it would be 12 weeks until he would be able to return to strength and power sports. A college wrestling coach told me he has had wrestlers come back after 4-8 weeks and wrestle. Aggressive?

I wonder if any of you have had experience with this injury? What was your rehab and recovery experience? Any thought, experiences and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Lincoln Brigham
12-15-2003, 09:35 AM
This happens with elite level weightlifters. Cheryl Haworth dislocated hers at the Junior Worlds in June and was NOT healthy enough to lift at the Worlds in November, although she was back in moderate training. Usually it takes surgery and close to a year of recovery for weightlifters to fully recover from an elbow dislocation.

Ligaments do not heal quickly.

Post your question on http://www.goheavy.com/forums/olympic/ and you should get some good answers.

Michael Rutherford
12-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Lincoln-

Since you were kind to reply to my message I thought I would give you an update on the kid.

The doc took of the splint this morning. That unit was stiff! He was 20 degrees shy of full extension. He said the reduction appears to have been uneventful and the kid will start rehab on Monday. Left the practice with a BIONIC man splint. Didn't want a slip and fall second occurance.

The kid wanted to know when he could get geared up for another record breaking power clean at his school.

I was a little anxious after watching that happen to him. I put the film clip on my computer and watched it several times until I figured it out. It still gives me a horrible feeling. Totally a freak deal.

Happy Holidays!

Lincoln Brigham
12-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the update. Good luck to your son and happy holidays!