PDA

View Full Version : Lack of flexibility/ wrist problems

Graeme Cunningham
09-15-2003, 08:46 AM
I did the 1k row 75x50 thrusters 1k row WOD but only managed to get 35 thrusters,the only way I could achieve the correct posistion at the bottom of the thrusters was if I let my hands tilt back and the barbell roll onto my palms which made my wrists sore so I stopped .
Can anyone tell me where I lack the flexibility for this,my gut feeling is lack of flexibility in my shoulders but I'm not sure.

My time for what I did was just under 17 mins, i still had the push but my wrists gave up.

Robert Wolf
09-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Graeme-

A good front squat is quite difficult for many people due largely to wrist ad ankle flexability issues.
If it is a problem area try working them into your warm-up for several weeks and see how things progress.
Robb

Chris Doughty
09-16-2003, 05:01 AM
Graeme,

I had a lot of problems with this too... Some ideas: 1) Keep your elbows up when in the catch position. This takes the weight off your wrists and puts it on your shoulders. 2) Experiment with hand position. I found that a narrower grip (hands at or just outside a shoulder width) helped quite a bit. 3) Let the bar roll back even farther - on to your finger tips so the weight is resting on your shoulders.

If you've tweaked your wrists you might want to try taping them for a while. A few wraps of 1" athletic tape high on the joint should keep them from hyperextending. Stay away from pre-wrap as it'll allow the tape to slide off.

Have fun!

Graeme Cunningham
09-16-2003, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the replies.
With the front Squats I probably have'nt got the flexibility for them but will gikve it a try.
Chris what do you mean about keeping the elbows up? Is this the same as not lowering the bar as far are you talking about thrusters?