PDA

View Full Version : Football Ankle Injury

David Heath
10-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi there,

About four weeks ago I was playing in my weekly football match (that's soccer, not American Football) and I went to clear the ball as I'm a defender. The opposing player also struck the ball in the opposite direction at exactly the same time. Immediately I started limping as I believe my foot was bent back a bit. I went off after another few minutes to save myself any more pain.

Since then I've avoided football as much as possible, but it still hasn't healed properly. I don't limp, but rotating my foot around is relatively painful, and if I were to kick a ball I think my ankle would buckle. I've been patient, but nothing is working. I've bathed my foot in water and placed ice on it, but nothing is working.

The painful area's are just underneath the ankle joint itself, and on the very top of the foot on the ridge. I'm really, really annoyed about not being able to play football, so is there anything I can do to further my healing process?

Thanks very much for reading, I hope I get better soon.

Emil Berengut
10-02-2003, 06:57 AM
David, I am not a physician, so my opinion is from personal experience only. It sounds like you might've torn some tendons or ligaments. You should definitely get it checked out right away. They might do an MRI and tell if you will need surgery. In the best case scenario, you might get off easy with lots of physical therapy. Also DMSO/hydrocortisone gel seems to help me heel quicker.Get it checked out!

David Heath
10-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Yeah I thought I might have to see someon

: (

Oh well, hopefully I'll be better getting it checked out and getting fixed sooner.

Thanks for the swift reply.

Lincoln Brigham
10-02-2003, 10:15 AM
I saw a guy's leg get broken in exactly the same situation. 100 kilo defender vs. 70 kilo winger. The winger lost.

Get it checked out.

Gary
10-02-2003, 08:43 PM
David,

Unfortunately, I am a veteran of one dislocated ankle, at least three other sprain episodes resulting in casts, and assorted other minor sprains.

I'm certainly not a medical professional, but the continuing pain and difficulty you're describing four weeks after the event sounds like a doctor's visit to me. Don't let it go too much longer.