PDA

View Full Version : Recovery therapy for abdominal surgery

bao phuoc
01-12-2003, 11:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I am intending to start a strength training/ Crossfit program. I have not yet started.

I have recently found out that I have an 85 per cent chance of having abdominal surgery to remove an area of intestine with a stricture. This surgery will definitely weaken my abs. I know that all these activities involve using the abdominal muscles and abdominal pressure. How would one go about recuperative therapy, strengthening the abs before starting any major program??? Does anyone else have experience in this area?? I know at least one of you is a doctor. Any physical therapists?
Thanks for all suggestions and help.

Bao

Robert Wolf
02-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Bao- sorry for the belated response and I am neither a doctor nor PT but here are a few suggestions. Get in as good of condition as possible prior to surgery...I assume you have been instructed by your physician what you can safely do. Find the BEST person you can who does this type of proceedure...look around and explain that you are an athlete and that post operative recovery is of paramount importance. Find a PT who deals with athletes...not the general population. Standard PT protocols are incredibly underagressive IMO.

Good luck and speedy recovery
Robb

Keiko
07-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Sir,
I have had a similar surgery ....life threatening ( twice ) while i wont go into i, I can tell you it was extremely evasive, painful, and you can expect the crossfit day to day routine to be COMPLETELY acceptable for recovery or preperation for the event. I had an enmergency entry that called for an incision "straight to th the alien" With a little modification to the intensity you will do fine. The recovery of the core group emphasized in this program is key to survival and recovery....go slow but these routines are fine.