PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with me

Bobak
06-10-2003, 10:29 PM
for the last 3 weeks, i've had a cough, there's been blood in my phlegm, and i can't take deep breaths. Anybody ever have a problem like this? i thought it might be from sparring n gettin hit, but there's no pain.

David Wood
06-11-2003, 08:15 AM
Boy, I don't want to seem like I'm stating the obvious, but have you considered seeing a doctor?

Those are fairly serious symptoms (blood in the phlegm, consistently, is NOT good . . . suggests internal bleeding in lungs somewhere).

You say there is "no pain", but also that you "can't take deep breaths". What keeps you from taking a really deep inhalation? If the answer is "it hurts", then you DO have pain, and you probably really ARE injured. Among other things, you could have:
- a broken rib (especially the "floating" ribs at the bottom of your rib cage)
- badly bruised or torn intercostal muscles
- some sort of REALLY nasty infection that has settled deep down in the lungs

I'd strongly suggest seeing a doctor, who will probably take a chest x-ray, a WBC (white blood cell count, to check for the presence of infection), and a lot of other stuff.

Oh, and, by the way . . . lay off the sparring until this phenomenon goes away.

Good luck,
Dave

Scott Shafer
06-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a bad case of strep. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Get to a doctor immediately.

Dale S. Jansen
07-04-2003, 08:29 PM
BLOODY SPUTUM USUALLY INDICATIVE OF T.B. BRONCHITIS, PNEUMONIA, ETC.

Derrick Payne
07-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I've had a similar problem 10 years ago when I was heavily into martial arts. I walked around for 3 weeks wondering why I couldn't give 100%.
Turns out I had 2 broken ribs left over from a
full contact turnament. My treatment was "lots" of rest (do virtually nothing) for several weeks.

But "go" see a doctor ..sounds like yours might be puncturing your lungs.