PDA

View Full Version : Plans for pull up bar

robin finlayson
08-10-2007, 06:38 AM
hey folks this is my first post here.
I would like to have a pullup bar made for my grage. I would like to mount it from my celing (sheet rock over rafters). does anyone have a set of plans/material list that I could take to a welder to have made up?

Also can you refer me to plans for a plyo box or the 20" jump box?

thanks all
Fifty

Tom Fetter
08-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Robin,

The search function will turn up threads on each topic - and IIRC, there's a plyo box article in a free PDF file if you go to the CrossFit Journal page and poke around.

3 or 4 threads in my short time here about pullup bars of varying descriptions. Most use iron pipe, secured using plumbing fixtures to something like a 2X6, with all this bolted (or at least lag screwed) deep into your ceiling joists.

Derek Maffett
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Could I ask a similar question here?

I am looking to make an outdoor pullup bar that would preferably be secured into the ground. I have seen another topic on Crossfit forums that discussed just this but I am looking for definite plans for construction of one. I would like it to be high so that I can hang rings on it.

Sorry, Robin. I just thought it was a similar enough question (and might just help you out in the future!)

Sam Michaud
08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Robin,

Using the information available within this forum (easily found with a search), I made the following pull-up bar with less than $25 worth of material from Home Depot and needed no specialized tools.

Overall view with rings:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/45907.jpg

Just the bar:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/45908.jpg

Detail view of the fittings:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/45909.jpg

Overall, this type of pull-up bar is very sturdy, handles kipping pull-ups very well, and is easily constructed (I just made a second one for a friend in less than 15 minutes).

Again, if you search the board you will find a lot of other designs but I think this is the simplest and most elegant design that I have come across for a home application. I'm sorry that I can't find the original designer's post to provide proper credit but please know that this is not my own design; it was obtained from within the Crossfit community.

Sam

William Henniger
08-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Mine is very similar, I had to attach the assembly a little differentlyhttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/45915.jpg

Bill
http://www.roguefitness.com

Mario Duarte
08-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Derek,
I am also looking for help on ideas for an outdoor pullup setup. I have considered the garage option and there isn't enough room for me. Any help from the anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Derek Maffett
08-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Well, Mario, in case you haven't seen it yet, there was a discussion on Crossfit about that. Not quite the in-depth plans I was looking for when I posted but some info in there. Just Google "outdoor pull up bar." It's practically number one on the list.

Manuel Ruiz
08-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I did the same thing as Sam. Works like a charm. And even hang my Rings from it too. Cost was about $40 from Home Depot. Quick and easy.

Jan Bester
10-17-2007, 07:19 AM
sorry to bump this thread, but Sam or who ever can answer, what kind of fittings are you using in your picture with the mountain climbing clips attatched to it in your set-up? Also, if my ceiling is straight cement/plaster, how would you reccomend bolting in the wodden plank to the ceiling?

Also, would it be better to install the pull up bar and hang the straps for rings from there or is it better to hang the straps like you did- from the mountain climbing clips andthat attatchment?

Thanks a bunch guys..

Tom Fetter
10-17-2007, 07:49 AM
I'd be very surprised if it's straight cement/plaster, rather than a veneer of plaster or drywall attached to ceiling joists. It's a pain to try and locate the joists when they're hidden by the plaster surface, to be sure, but there's no way the bar will stay attached to the ceiling if it's not tying into something structural.

If there truly are no joists hiding up there, I'd go with a wall mounted bar - again, tying into the wall studs or any other structural members you can locate. Even if your ceiling is poured concrete (e.g. in some apartments), I can't think of a type of cement anchor that I'd trust to not loosen over time - especially from kipping. Prolly few things would impair your "Fran" time more than having the bar assembly pull out and land on your head. But if the bar was wall mounted, even to a cement wall, the wiggle would give you warning before it did anything serious.

Jan Bester
10-17-2007, 10:05 AM
hi, tom. honestly, I'm not sure what kind of construction it is- I'm just going on what I've seen.. I'm not at home right now so I can't check personally, but I'm finding out. Also, I'll only be using it for a couple of months before I move- so it doesn't necessarily have to be a "sturfy for years to come" deal- just want to start practicing ring moves like muscle-up's, etc. before I go back to South Africa..

Derrick Rice
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Could I ask a similar question here?

I am looking to make an outdoor pullup bar that would preferably be secured into the ground. I have seen another topic on Crossfit forums that discussed just this but I am looking for definite plans for construction of one. I would like it to be high so that I can hang rings on it.

Sorry, Robin. I just thought it was a similar enough question (and might just help you out in the future!)

Here are some pics of my outdoor pull-up bar. I used 4X4 12' posts buried 3 ft in the ground secured by concrete. My pull up bar is 9 feet tall and I used a 1" pipe from Home depot for the bar.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/ricer1804/IMG_4195.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/ricer1804/IMG_4179.jpg

Rob Lorenzini
10-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Sam,

I love the setup you built, I am building something similiar since my current apparatus is not as sturdy as I would like.

I know this thread is a little old but I have a question for you. What length are the short vertical pipes which attached to the flang?

When I am done builting my pull-up bar I will post a pic, all plans and details....

Thanks,

Brian Jossen
10-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Derrick in Plano,
Are those 4x4's sturdy enough? I've seen 6x6 listed as the standard. I'm actually considering buy this one (WFS Link)

http://www.torqueathletic.com/ts1/details.php?prod=FM0307

and having the option of moving it, even though it wont be as sturdy as posts.

Jan Bester
10-18-2007, 08:13 AM
I have subsequently found out that the height of the garage roof is 11 feet 6 inches and "normal ceiling board".. if that makes sense?

Gary Wimsett
10-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Brian,

That's a pricey pull up bar. Considering there are a number of pretty decent DIY options, as listed in this thread and in several others, I'd explore the wonders of galvanized pipe before plunking down that kind of cabbage. I think you could get a full set of bumpers for near that or you could be halfway to a Concept II. Just my .02.

Derrick Rice
10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Derrick in Plano,
Are those 4x4's sturdy enough? I've seen 6x6 listed as the standard. I'm actually considering buy this one (WFS Link)

http://www.torqueathletic.com/ts1/details.php?prod=FM0307

and having the option of moving it, even though it wont be as sturdy as posts.

The 4x4s have a little sway when you are kipping, but i am never afraid of them breaking. If I did it again, I might use a 6X6. I am thinking about putting in 2 more 4X4s behind the 2 I have now and connecting all 4 poles using other pullup bars at different heights. Kind of like a Crossfit Jungle Gym! By doing that I would think that would take any of the sway out of it. I just hate digging those 3 foot deep 1 foot diameter holes.

Justin Hardee
12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Sam, or anyone for that matter, I've got the 2x8 attached to the ceiling joists. I'm about to hang the bar. However, I have a concern about the screws/bolts to use in the flanges. It appears that most of these DIY designs don't have the flange screws going into the joists. My question is, by screwing in the flanges to just the 2x8, is enough support provided to keep the bar from pulling out of the ceiling?

I'm not terribly concerned about it for pull ups, but i plan on getting a pair of gravity boots. The last thing i want is for the bar to come out while I'm inverted.

John Edmondson
12-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Justin, I have the same setup as most of these guys (2x6 lag screwed to the cieling with plumbing flanges and pipe) and it's very strong. I've kipped like mad on it with almost no movement at all. I'm 175# and have done 80-90# weighted pullups on it too. Just use the thickest diameter screws that the flange will accomodate when you screw it to the 2x6, and no drywall screws. Since anything you do with gravity boots likely won't involve any violent movement it should be fine. I'd worry just as much about the boots failing or coming unhooked. Hope this helps.

Justin Hardee
12-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the help, John.

:thanx:

Carlos Cristan
12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
I just put in the galvanized pipe set up to the underside of the eave of my garage and used #14 wood screws 2 inch long, the biggest screw that would fit the flange you may even want to go half an inch longer, Im 210# and no problems so far